HD or ram

Gonna add another vote for a new HDD!

Im also a Western Digital man, I can never hear mine read/write etc, got 3, two 80GBs in Raid 0 and one 200GB store.

Also, My dads got a Duran 1.2ghz system with 512mb ram, was slowing down like hell, even with a re-format, got a nice new WD drive and the speed was like it was new again!

I totally understand you there. The reason I switched back to seagate was WD playing the shuffle-the-warranty-period game. they burned me with that, bad enough im going to steer clear of WD for a while. My newest (remaining) WD is a WD2000BB I got when they were $100 new at the egg. You are right, they are quieter on average, but this particular drive seems just as 'loud' as my WD2000BB which is pretty quiet.

You got burned because you bought the 2MB version. Always always steer clear of 2MB hard drives. It's their "value" line of hard drives, which makes them comparable to Maxtors. 8MB/16MB hard drives are problem free and the RE/RE2 drives are unkilleable.

Edited by jcarle

Actually I have been super pleased with my WD2000BB. It was my WD1200JB that I got burned by. I bought the OEM version back before it was common knowledge that WD was playing with their warranty periods. It came with a 1yr warranty. About 1 year and 2 months after I got it it had serious issues, which is uncommon for a WD. I ended up roundfiling it and being very steamed. Even the newegg page when I got it said it had a 3 year mfr warranty.

What would be wrong with a Raptor?.... 10kRPM and 16mb buffer :)

Well... their cost for one. Their power usage for another.

The 320GB drives jcarle and I are reccommending are actually comparable in speed to the raptors for most things, and a lot less $$ and more capacity to boot.

Actually I have been super pleased with my WD2000BB. It was my WD1200JB that I got burned by. I bought the OEM version back before it was common knowledge that WD was playing with their warranty periods. It came with a 1yr warranty. About 1 year and 2 months after I got it it had serious issues, which is uncommon for a WD. I ended up roundfiling it and being very steamed. Even the newegg page when I got it said it had a 3 year mfr warranty.

Well even the best companies have bad bouts. I tried installing a brand new Antec SP-350 power supply in one of my client's computer's last night. It was DOA. Never turned on. I had to RMA it back to my supplier. First time it's happened in the hundred or so I've installed.

I have two 74GB raptors, they're fast as hell, but man they're noisy. It's the only thing I can hear in my computer as everything else is silent.

My point was the warranty shuffle, not having a lemon or failed drive.

Lemons and failures are part of anything mass produced, it's a fact of life. The problem I have is when the companies get all shifty and shady on the whole issue or just hassle the crap out of you when you try to RMA something that is under warranty.

To me customer service is half the purchase. It is about half of the money you spend when you buy something.

I have two 74GB raptors, they're fast as hell, but man they're noisy. It's the only thing I can hear in my computer as everything else is silent.

VERY noisey, like a plane takign off (well not quite)

remember testing one, **** fast, but yes, very noisey.

I'd consider getting 2 rapters, just if and are with the noise...but the speed :D

I'd consider getting 2 rapters, just if and are with the noise...but the speed :D

My throughput for my raptors in RAID 0 is 140MB/sec... ;)

Edited by jcarle

On what did you connect those? Just on the motherboard SATA or is it an add-on card?

Now the sound of that makes it even more tempting! lol

SATAII onboard I take it?

Similar but backward situation here (only with one HD instead of two)

my nForce4 non-ultra chipset is sata1 but the drive is sata2 which has NCQ in the standard. I haven't done the homework on this but I assume that NCQ is supported in this situation. could definitely be wrong.

Similar but backward situation here (only with one HD instead of two)

my nForce4 non-ultra chipset is sata1 but the drive is sata2 which has NCQ in the standard. I haven't done the homework on this but I assume that NCQ is supported in this situation. could definitely be wrong.

The drive AND the controller must both support NCQ. So unless your SATA controller has NCQ in it's specifications, you're out of luck.