Disable zip folders

RYU81

Those aren't zip folders, they are compressed folders that use the .zip engine. there is a setting in the GUI somewhere, can't remember right now and i'm not at my Vista machine, about showing compressed folders that you can disable. You can also change this by installing winzip and associating .zip files with winzip and the compresses folders will then become regular .zip files.

I want to know way to Disable zip folders on vista?

• 1 month later...

Its the same way it was done in XP;

Start - Run - type in 'regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll' (without the ' ') and then click 'OK'

Next in explorer, in Tools - Folder Options - View tab- uncheck the 'Show encrypted or compressed NTFS folders in Color' - then on the View tab at the top click the button 'Apply to all folders'. Then re-boot.

Edited by Spooky

I just noticed in your pic, those 'folders' are not compressed folders, thats a winzip icon. That means you installed winzip at some point. You will need to un-install winzip to get rid of those ziped files/folders, the exact same you would do for any app that you didn't like or want any more.

Then if you end up with the native Vista compressed folders and want to get rid of those too, do what I posted above this post. Or if you want to keep winzip installed then go into the winzip settings and un-associate winzip with .zip files (it going to complain)

I want to disable this:

ssw006ux4.gif

Edited by Spooky

Start - Run - type in 'regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll' (without the ' ') and then click 'OK'

Next in explorer, in Tools - Folder Options - View tab- uncheck the 'Show encrypted or compressed NTFS folders in Color' - then on the View tab at the top click the button 'Apply to all folders'. Then re-boot.

I did it but is still show it,not remove it

I just noticed in your pic, those 'folders' are not compressed folders, thats a winzip icon. That means you installed winzip at some point. You will need to un-install winzip to get rid of those ziped files/folders, the exact same you would do for any app that you didn't like or want any more.

Then if you end up with the native Vista compressed folders and want to get rid of those too, do what I posted above this post. Or if you want to keep winzip installed then go into the winzip settings and un-associate winzip with .zip files (it going to complain)

are compresse with type zip like on winxp.I do it also is still not remove it.is still show it.

ssw007ge3.gif

Its still going to show the .zip extension if winzip was installed because the files/folders were renamed by winzip to .zip. Try this, after un-installing winzip, reboot, then go back to Run and do 'regsvr32 zipfldr.dll' to re-instate compressed folders reboot again. But this may not get rid of files and folders that have already been renamed by winzip and have a .zip extension, it will just not put a .zip extension on future compressed files and folders, you may need to re-name those manually. Then, after you do the above go back to Run and do 'regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll' again this time to remove compressed folders capability.

I did it but is still show it,not remove it

are compresse with type zip like on winxp.I do it also is still not remove it.is still show it.

ssw007ge3.gif

is not working on Vista,I told you before on my post.

ssw008mi7.gif

Same problem here. This cmd dont work on Vista.

This work on XP only. Sorry... :no:

Edited by payday

What exactly do you mean by 'disable'?? I'm not understanding.

Microsoft Windows XP and Vista will standard display your ZIP-files as folders.

But we don't want to use this, because we want to use for example WinZip or Winrar.

We want turn off this functionality. Do you Understand now?

Can you help us? :thumbup

Edited by payday

Then install WinZip/WinRAR/7zip (my preference) and associate it with .zip file extension :whistle:

If Vista has additional shell extensions for .zip that prevents the above from working, simply delete those shellexs.

Edited by LLXX

Maybe I didn't understand what you wanted to do...in context with the original post in this thread..I thought you wanted to disable '.zip folders' and you were mistaking compressed folders as .zip files.

If you want the compressed folders to show as .zip files then install winzip like LLXX posted, after you associate winzip with the .zip extension they will show up as .zip files.

What exactly do you mean by 'disable'?? I'm not understanding.

Microsoft Windows XP and Vista will standard display your ZIP-files as folders.

But we don't want to use this, because we want to use for example WinZip or

Winrar. We want turn off this this functionality. Do you Understand now?

Can you help us? :thumbup

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.zip\shellex if there's any subkeys there. Otherwise look at the default value for the .zip key and scroll down until you find it on the left side, then open that key and you should find the shellex along with the shell subkeys.