UnOfficialW98SE_SP2.1a and "98SE2ME" . . .

This is the second (or third) response I have made to you regarding this question. It is best to check threads that you post to in order to see if someone has answered your questions.

As last time, I start my reply with "read the manual." The information provided with the 98SE2ME program suggests that you install Gape's Unofficial 98SE Service Pack prior to installing 98SE2ME. It also clearly states that using the program does not turn your operating system into Windows Me. It is still Windows 98 Second Edition and any Windows Updates you use should be the Windows 98SE versions of the updates.

Doing any reading among the threads of these forums will show you that folks do sometimes refresh their systems for various reasons, without formatting, by reinstalling the Unofficial 98SE Service Pack and then reapplying 98SE2ME.

So, yes you can install the Service Pack. Just run the 98SE2ME batch shortcut on your start menu again (with the Windows Me cd in your first cd drive once again) to reapply the Windows Me file versions after installing the Unofficial Service Pack.

I'm surprised that you made no attempt to read the provided readme that appears when running 98SE2ME. If you had, you would have been provided with answers to most of your questions. Before going any further I suggest you take a few minutes to read it. A shortcut to it is on the start menu under the 98SE2ME program folder.

This is the second (or third) response I have made to you regarding this question. It is best to check threads that you post to in order to see if someone has answered your questions.

snip snip

So, yes you can install the Service Pack. Just run the 98SE2ME batch shortcut on your start menu again (with the Windows Me cd in your first cd drive once again) to reapply the Windows Me file versions after installing the Unofficial Service Pack.

I'm surprised that you made no attempt to read the provided readme that appears when running 98SE2ME. If you had, you would have been provided with answers to most of your questions. Before going any further I suggest you take a few minutes to read it. A shortcut to it is on the start menu under the 98SE2ME program folder.

"Eck"

I have been reading so many "README" files about so many different programs and am now suffering from 'CRS' because of all the different files. Confused and lost totally, I just finished the "*2XP" as well and find the defenition on my screen has become much better.

Other forums I hold membership that use this same software keeps the selection of 'Enable email notifcation of replies?' and I just neglected to check that box each time I have posted. I just noticed it was unchecked in the thread and have re-checked again. Noticed the forum management has changed the sig file length to only "4 lines" and have had to add my sig again.

Thank you for being patient with me and I will watch that more closely,

Heh, heh. Yes there is a lot of reading material involved.

I sometimes forget that since I've been involved in these things for years, I've had years to take in all the various threads and readme's that take up all these updates and service packs.

In one of your posts, that are now spread out over various threads so I don't remember which one, you mentioned that your system has been running for years without formatting.

In that case it is likely that you already have most of the older 98SE updates installed, so you probably wouldn't be missing much by just leaving what you've got. After all, you now have installed both 98SE2ME and 98SE2XP. If you now run Gape's Service Pack and the Autopatcher you will only need to reapply both 98SE2ME AND 98SE2XP afterwards.

However, for such an old system that has probably been to Windows Update hundreds of times through the years, I would suggest just going to the top of the forum with the latest updates -

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

and just apply some of the latest stuff to get the basic security fixes that have come out since Microsoft stopped providing them on Windows Update. Things like the Internet Explorer 6 SP 1 Cumulative Security Update and the Unofficial WMF security fix.

You've posted in so many threads that I'm not sure now whether you are dealing with a fresh Windows 98SE installation or that you are still dealing with your mature setup that probably has most of the updates.

Please note that the next time you install fresh you should not install 98SE2ME or 98SE2XP until AFTER you have done the Gape Unofficial Service Pack and the Autopatcher.

And, YES! As the readme states, 98SE2ME is completely compatible with the Unofficial Service Pack. I hope that's a question we don't need to deal with again.

Edited by Eck

"Eck,"

OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK OK

Enough of this reading my eyes are getting or have gotten tired of this . . . Just KIDDING!!!!

Thank you for this information and as I had stated before, "for being patient with me" as I attempt to learn more about what you, or the creators of these addons, adjustments, so good protectors, etceteras, now you have me doing it, reading and creating reading for others.

Have a couple of questions 4 U or anyone that can give this 'Dummy-a-zoid, Novice-a-zoid, Non-Geek-a-zoid, etceteras,' how do you set the 'WordWrap' in this "PFE" that comes with the "*2XP" cannot find it.

Edited by NT to update the version vvvvvvv of 'X-Teq SetUp' below . . .

I also have "X-Teq's Setup v6.6.3.00 Final1" the for FREE one that they so graciously provided when they went PURCHASE and I have not been able to do that yet. The copy I have will not run on my system with both the "98SE2ME" and "98SE2XP" intalled, now prior to installing *2XP it did work. Is there an update to that version that is available FREE? Have had their Tweaker on my system for many years and do like what they are providing. When I first made an attempt to run it this morn it came up with a ERROR message "E1" and I followed their instructions to run the "DCXSPCompReg.exe" file and I did. It will start up and loads the program, but; never stops readiing the 'PlugIns', have to use the "TaskMan" to KILL it.

HELP ! ! I need my "X-Teq SetUp" to go over my TWEAKS.

Thank you for reading all of my posts and answering them, I have even forgotten where all I have made posts so I will attempt to confine myself to this thread and Halt reading any others so I do not post in so many places, there I go again, creating more reading and more - - - FORGET IT!!!!

"I thought I knew that I knew what I thought,

but; now I know what I thought I knew isn't

what I know I think I thought I knew . . ."

Author UnKnown

Edited by NativeTexan

MDGx,

It is begaining to look as though "98SE2XP" is going to have to GO bye bye . . . my system is just too old to do this. My mouse is non-responsive @ times, everythingy I do takes much more time to either bring up prgrams such as 'PFE', any time I click on 'Start' each Icon slowly will be displayed and it takes a very long time if you have many programs on your system. This did not take place before the install of '98SE2XP' so that is going to have to be removed. Or I may have picked up a 'keylogger' when attempting to download some files from sites I do not normally use.

I thank everyone on this Forum for all of the patients and HELP that I have received. I now will be doing some more reading to see what to do about this removal so will not be here for maybe 1-2-3 or 4 days. Have some very deep reading to get done and reverting back on my software.

Thank you for reading this and have a GREAT time until I return,

Hmm, slow popping up of Start Menu items, eh? I recall some reg tweak to prevent that. For all I know I didn't suffer from it because that tweak is one of the things done by Gape's service pack. Don't know. Never got that. Maybe that's from an official Microsoft update that NativeTexan missed out on because he never installed the 98SE system updates, but barged ahead and installed 98SE2ME all be itself.

It's rather vague exactly what he did.

I hope he decides to format and start fresh, installing the items in order as he's been advised to several times.

The hardware he's using would be sensitive to high processor/memory usage, but simple spreading out of the Start Menu shouldn't happen. Heck, I've run these updates including 98SE2XP on a K6-2/366 MHz machine with 256MB of 66MHz SDRAM and didn't run into that even with the crappy on board video. I did get slow drawing of graphics like Explorer windows unless I installed something like a Voodoo 3000 videocard to remove the memory drain caused by the shared video/system memory. Not too slow though. Just a fraction of a second of watching the screen refresh when it opened a new window. A videocard stopped that.

Anyway, it's nice to read about someone working on an older system like that. I hope he gets things up and running well.

I've got a good friend who will read something and have a hard time retaining the information unless discussed with someone else for reinforcement. It's really not that unusual, and the friend is as bright as they come. Just that reading retention thing. As I grew older, I myself experienced a reckoning of sorts when returning to college to complete my BA. I couldn't recall enough details of my reading to be able to answer fill in the blank types of questions, but I could ace the multiple choices.

I read once that men start to lose some mental faculties at age 35, whereas women don't do that until they're in their 80's.

Gotta go get a woman so I don't forget where I live I guess! I'm 47. Yikes!

"Eck,"

There may have been an update that was not installed, is very correct. NO, I have not gone to Microsoft for all of the updates, just the ones I felt were important to my system and situation. YES, there are probably some, or many, that should have been installed. That is the next project to work on, do I follow instructions fully, well maybe then maybe not then sometimes, it depends on what state of mind I at the time. If confussed by all of the data to read about this, that, the other, then maybe, or maybe not, then again it may have something to do with if you have, excuse me for this, just wanted to show how confused one can become when you only know one type of system and not really very good @ that. The "School of Hard Knocks" will leave scars if you are not careful, and that is why I may have to change my UserName to SCARS. NO formal training on these systems have only gone through the "School of Hard Knocks" to get where I am today, that is not very far either.

If you would like to know more about me, read the "Introduce Youself!" as that is the most complete description.

Have had some other problems with my system and have not, yet, done any of the removal. Wanted to solve my other problems first. That done, now, I am back to reading and well you know.

Thankyou for this post of yours, that will be checked first before the roll-back,

Don't forget, NativeTexan, that if you use Gape's Service Pack and the Autopatcher you don't need to read or install much. Those install just about everything for you!

Do read the readme's for those, though. Several times. Maybe write them out long-hand. It'll take forever but you'll remember more. That's what I had to do in school.

Then screw reading anything else since those 2 give you just about all you'll need.

Please remember to install 98SE2ME after those, not before.

Edit -

OMG! I just read your intro thread you linked to. There must have been more discussion between you and the lady that wasn't in that thread. From the looks of that thread, she welcomed you, shared some rememberences, made a suggestion, then you attacked the heck out of her for no reason that was apparent there.

Sheesh, guy, if you ever talked to me like that I'd reach over the network and conk you on the head. Or maybe find a suedo Xena Warrior Princess or Buffy the Vampire Slayer and let them have their way with you. (My favorite 2 shows besides Star Trek TOS.) See, strong, empowered women are attractive to me. Not in a sick perverted way (well, maybe a little), but I admire them.

I don't know. Perhaps there's some stuff I haven't read where she overly criticised you unfairly. Sometimes folks feel they can say stuff in print that they'd never say face to face. But we really shouldn't. It can be just as hurtfull.

Well, our conversations have been civilized anyway. To this point. Just don't make me sick Buffy on ya! (Heh, heh.)

Edited by Eck

• 2 weeks later...

OK! Folks,

"HELP ! ! I need my "X-Teq SetUp" to go over my TWEAKS."

I finally solved my problem with my X-SetUp v6.6.3Final as it is listed on my system. These little, HA, additional programs, "98SE2ME", "98MP10/w 98SE2XP" have made my system work so well and improved the performance so much. Well that is what turned out to be my problem, had become accustomed to the improvements and it was just taking 'X-SetUp' a little longer to read all of the plug-ins that would be used now. Like about 1 - 1.5 min. Task-manager was reporting it as [Not Responding] and I would close it down. Well I finally just waited and allowed it to run for about 5 - 7 min., I took a break. When I had returned it had finished and was up and doing just what it is supposed to be doing, awaiting on my input. Whew!! Had me a little upset, scared, worried that it would not work any longer. My system is so slow it took much longer than I thought it should. On all of my startings of X-SetUp after that initial one it is running normal, reads all of the plug-ins in about 10 - 15 sec.

Edited by NativeTexan > Last sentence above. Thank you.

All is well again, and thank you for reading my posts and all of the input,

Edited by NativeTexan