Questions about NAS (Network Attached Storage)

DigeratiPrime

Enough with the Micro ATX vs Micro ITX discussion. It has nothing to do with the original question. People are bickering for no reason. Next time people go at it like this, warnings are going out.

@Digerati - Looks like people have given you quite a few options.

I've also been looking at some form of NAS to setup and run. My personal idea was to take a VIA C3 system and add a decent PCI RAID card (HighPoint or the like). With a few large SATA drives, dump some basic Windows or Linux on it and run the whole setup headless. The advantage of this is that you can also run this "NAS" as a downloader or the like, and have it save your files to the massive storage space (something the TeraStation can't do). ;)

That's actually what I was wanting to do. Albatron does make a mini ITX motherboard that takes turion64 CPUs. That would be perfect for a software RAID5 setup, plenty of horsepower for the XOR calculations and it comes with gigabit with jumbo frame support, usb2, firewire, and a ton more, so it could be the host of one heck of a (superNAS?) setup. The albatron has 4 SATA on it along with 2 PATA, as well.

Edited by Jaqie Fox