Dose anybudy have any pointers for me to start programing?

Hello I been looking in to programing for awhile now. I need some pointers on where to start and would visual basic be aright for begainners shuch as my self?.

Please reply back asap

Edited by kurt476

Personnaly, I don't really like VisualBasic.

C is fun to play with and you can find some very good papers on the net and books.

AutoHotKey or AutoIt are powerful languages, easy to learn and very well documented.

Google for them. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer AHK but in fact it is a fork of AutoItv2 (AutoItv3 is not opensource). :)

AutoHotKey or AutoIt are powerful languages, easy to learn and very well documented.

Google for them. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer AHK but in fact it is a fork of AutoItv2 (AutoItv3 is not opensource). :)

That's scripting, not programming...

...and yes, if you learn VB you won't really get far even though you may think you are. C/C++ (and eventually C#) are the "real" programming languages.

• 1 month later...

C++ could be a little frustrating for a beginner, but I agree that is where real programming takes place, BUT I myself have been messing with AutoIt3 (with Koda with GUI creation), and I am struck by it serves the same role BASIC used to in the 80's. A nice entry level language for non-programmers to get their feet wet, and high-level enough to make useful little scripts to use around the house ;).

Anyway, I'm a non-programmer, so what do I know, I had a little program on the side I was writing in C++ since I was trying to put my best effort into it, I kind of abandoned it though.

Edited by daddydave

:lol: LLXX, you gave kurt excellent article to confuse him, I don't think pointers even exist in visual basic. I think he asked for a good starting point, anyway thanks for the link, it's going to be a good read since I always get lost with functions in c that accept or return pointer to an array. Pointer by itself is a simple concept, it is extremely efficient in c programming.