Cleaning up Nlite Install

John Mc

I have been using nlite for quite some time now and have been very happy with the results Recently I have started to use some of bold_ fortune {www.bold-fortune.com) guides to further reduce and clean up my install. Bold Fortune's guide although aimed at XP works very well on my server 2003 workstation install.

too much, I need a maximum of 100 MB ISO and a maximum of 200 MB on disk to give you any answers, 334 only for the system32 directory is better to suicide than run something like that, my xp is < 50 MB total on disk, im sure I could have helped you a little if you were on xp, if you think of using winblows xp you might find some info on my site later on when it will be up.

too much, I need a maximum of 100 MB ISO and a maximum of 200 MB on disk to give you any answers, 334 only for the system32 directory is better to suicide than run something like that, my xp is < 50 MB total on disk, im sure I could have helped you a little if you were on xp, if you think of using winblows xp you might find some info on my site later on when it will be up.

WOW !!! - ANY SECRETS MATE !!!

I wud love to see that on my disk !

Hey u gotta tell us somethin about ur nlited system n whynot share ur session.ini etc. files with us. Will definitely rock !!! :thumbup:thumbup

no need to tell, only need to download, go to deleted edition site it will explain most of what I am runnint not all, and no, it is not an nLite-only deletion, but yes I do have ALL components selected when removing in nLite, but I am removing beyond that even more, all can be understood from my site, along with the config and the ini's and the scripts and even an ISO with my own dos boot disk that I made.....

just make sure you pack at least basic DOS knowledge, a little linux is recommened, and try to avoid using explorer.exe as your shell, and you should be fine. oh and.... might want to get used to not seeing icons for some things, but that's for the later versions (after 1.1).

there is a difference between iso < 50 Mb and on disk < 50 MB, those projects seem to have on disk space of around 83 MB, that is mutch more, and they don't support GUI operations if they go any lower, not really the same thing as I do.

and those projects seem to be buggy, using comlex scripts and BS, my solution is elegant and simple.

Edited by monohouse

there is a difference between iso < 50 Mb and on disk < 50 MB, those projects seem to have on disk space of around 83 MB, that is mutch more, and they don't support GUI operations if they go any lower, not really the same thing as I do.

and those projects seem to be buggy, using comlex scripts and BS, my solution is elegant and simple.

The standard winbuilder project will create a bootable ISO using windows explorer under 31Mb when addons are disabled - all GUI operations are always supported, if you use a shell such as xoblite then you'd likely get around 27Mb but will lose the file manager features from native ms explorer.

Just downloading the latest winbuilder 052 and creating the first project will surely make a < 50Mb ISO both on disk or on CD - we achieve this by using UPX and this done in an automated fashion.

83Mb are achieved when you select all possible addons such as MMC, directx, PnP support, 16bit app support and others.

The project that doesn't support GUI operations is PicoXP - but this is a project meant to only run cmd.exe and be sized in less than 14Mb, the main focus is actually given on the option to add drivers and some features like NTFS support - it was designed from the start to only run win32 console apps.

just make sure you pack at least basic DOS knowledge, a little linux is recommened, and try to avoid using explorer.exe as your shell, and you should be fine. oh and.... might want to get used to not seeing icons for some things, but that's for the later versions (after 1.1).

Please don't understand me the wrong way, but why would your solution be more elegant and simple than winbuilder?

You only select the path to where your windows CD files are located and press the Run button

- the project is built, and there is no script editing - they're meant to do things automatically, you only need to ensure that the windows install CD you're using as source is not one of those AIO (All in One) or Slipstreamed CD because it will expect to find the files available on the I386 folder.

Once the project is done, qemu will simulate the ISO as a virtual computer to see the results right away.

You get a running live CD under 50Mb with explorer and all icons - amongst a whole lot of other features, it is not comparable to an installed nlite windows because of the restrictions on a PE environment, but for a nLite solution why not mentioning microwinx.

Have you actually even tried our projects before posting? :blink:

We use a script created by Ove based on ramdrv.sys by Christiaan Ghijselinck from a bartPE plugin:

http://ove.boot-land.net/ramdisk.html

HighwayStar also introduced a FBWF script wich enables read-only media to behave as read/write - the same feature wich can be found on winPE 2.0 (vista)

The explorer script will use this ramdrive and create all profiles and needed files inside, you can also adjust the size if needed (32Mb is more than enough in most cases):

ramdisk-thumb.png

If you read both scripts (explorer and ramdisk) it will be easier to understand how this process is accomplished - we can also discuss this further on boot-land.net, where I'm sure other members can explain how they work in more detail.

We had already discussed your project some time ago in our old forums, do you remember?

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Boot_Land/index.php?showtopic=97

And you're very welcome to join our new forums where we can continue discussing how to make even smaller and more efficient builds, you can even publish your own project there if you wish.. B)

aha now I see you are one of the dudes that posted at the time ehehe, I like the idea of a ramdrive for temporary files, although deleted edition is not designed for installations in the first place.... it is considered a mistake to "install" software according to deleted edition philosophy, those who install software are not 1337, so deleted edition was made for the 1337, and the people that do need the temporary space will never have enough of it in ram, unless there are 4 GB of it in the system......then it starts to make sense.

well it's good to know that duudes from the boot land are also here, I forgot about that site completely, yhea I should visit it, there seems to be many projects going on there, and seem to be worth investgating further.

I totally forgot I have an account there. lol duude you seem to be famous on that site.

Edited by monohouse

did not know anyone is actually considering helping me with that project, I am working on it most of the time, but a ram disk would be a good addition to it, that site you told me does not contain the ramdisk only the script, you know where the ramdisk itself is the driver ?

Well, that's the beauty of scripts - you add all sort of files inside them in a similar way to email attachments.

Here's how to extract the file:

• Open winbuilder and select your script
  • Press the logo/icon to enter in edit mode (top-right corner of the script)
  • Go to the encoded files tab
  • Select the file and use the right-click menu to extract to where you need

This way it's easier to publish scripts and include all needed tools inside - while they're running we can quickly extract and use as necessary.

More detailed info is available on our wiki pages:

http://boot-land.net/wiki/index.php?title=WinBuilder

http://boot-land.net/wiki/index.php?title=...g_Encoded_Files

:)