Looking for VERY LARGE backup solutions...

jcarle

cluberti, this one's kind of aimed at you :P but anyone else who has ideas, I'd love to hear them...

I'm looking for a way to back up 2TB of data. Wondering what kind of solutions exists out there that would allow me to make offline backups. At 4.7GB, that's over 400 DVDs, so DVDs aren't feasible. And I know a 5 x 500GB in RAID 5 will give me the space to do it online, but I want a way to bring the data off-site.

Maxtor has 1tb and 1.5tb external drives.

Lacie has 1tb and 2tb drives.

Or have a local disk array, NAS or something, then back that up to tape and get a tape array.

Yea, external NAS/RAID arrays isn't really what I'm looking for. Tape could maybe work... depends on the capacity of the tapes and the time it would take to back up 2TB to tape...

what are your time restrictions? Does it have to be done between midnight and 5am kind of time frame?

The reason I suggested a second disk storage array to do the backup to is it will complete the backup faster, then you can back that backup to tape in a more leisurely fashion. You could use either permanent or removable disk storage as the intermediate point then go to tape.

I have no time restrictions. Another problem with an external enclosure is that the 2TB will grow to 4TB. I can't hardly see myself packing and unpacking boxes of external enclosures to bring a data backup off site.

A LTO3 tape drive should do the job on about 3-5 cartridges depending on the compression ratio. LTO3 max speed is 40Mb/s to 80Mb/s (compressed). A Library attached on the 2TB directly or installed on a backup server with a link speed of 1Gb should be enough to save your 2TB in one night if the files are big enough (i.e. not a tree with 150000 folders and 250000 files). For example if you need to backup 2TB of word/excel files, then it will take most like 1 or 2 days.

LTO3 is most probably the most reliable and fast solution but is very exepensive.

Well, the bean counter is me, since this is going to run out of my home. I have no idea what too expensive is at the moment.

I'm trying to factor what the different possibilities are with a time/cost/media quantity ratio.

It would seem at the moment that the highest capacity backup solutions would likely be tape as no optical media seems to come close to approaching it.

you are saying that a flood would ruin a set of hard drives in an attic? x.x that would be some flood...

In quebec, anything is possible. Flood, snow cave-in, rabid dogs, who knows...

That's why I want to bring the back up somewhere like a storage facility, or lock box, or something similar away for safekeeping.

By the way, I thought I should mention, if it helps with ideas, the data back up will be incremental. So if 1TB has already been backed up and 3TB remain, that 1TB does not need to be backed up again. (Except maybe for a duplicate of the backup.)

Something else I'm wondering about is how sensitive the backup media is, what kind of life expenctancy there is. Example, optical media is sensitive to heat and last about 7 years. Floppy discs are sensitive to heat and (electro)magnetism and last varying time frames depending on the quality.

What's the scenario with tape backup? Or other kinds of data backup?