Why continue to use Windows 9x?

DukeBlazingstix

Well hold on, the topic is called "Why continue to use Windows 9x?" as if to say,

someone give one good reason why Windows 98 is any use these days. Personally

I cannot come up with any reason to still use it.

It seems you have problems to understand what was written in this and other threads.

There were given many strong reasons why to use Win9x and many strong reasons why not to use it, it is always depending on your existing hardware, existing applications and personal preferences.

If the reason that specific hardware or specific software does not work with NT based systems is not "one good reason" for you - then there is nothing to discuss.

Maybe its this thread that should not have been posted in a forum that will only ever

glamorize Windows 98 and never discuss the reasons/label it as "disrespectful" when

anyone points out these obvious shortfalls of using Windows 98?

The person posting this thread even follows the title with the words "An honest question,

searching for an honest answer." Hahaha! Thats sounds like he has read through this

Windows 98 forum and is SCARED TO ASK because he knows he will get blasted for

even suggesting that Windows 98 and attempting to make it work these days is just

plain wrong when we have better NT based OS's.

My opinion is different - I understood that DukeBlazingstix wrote this becasue he wanted to express that he wants really to listen and discuss, not just start a flamewar like some other people (Link21 and you) often do.
Indeed, why continue to use Windows 9x?

Please also keep in mind that people just have personal preferences and most discsussions like "What is better - ATI or Nvidia? AMD or Intel? Western or Seagate? Gigabyte or Asus? Firefox or Opera? Windows or Mac or Linux? Mercedes or BMW?" are mixed with 1% of technical things and 99% of personal opinion.

Not respecting this fact and not respecting other people opinion leads just to flamewar, nothing else can be the result.

Petr

This is getting more and more ridiculous.

This topic is called "Why continue to use Windows 9x?" but for me the

full question would have to be "Why continue to use Windows 9x when

you could just use Windows 2000?"

Since when do people decide what someone else's question "would have to be" ?

Well hold on, the topic is called "Why continue to use Windows 9x?" as if to say,

exactly. ... so then why post ? :whistle:

To answer globally to your posts, there are two types of peoples in this thread, those who ask an honest question and get answers, and those that start a flamewar. Don't expect the same kind of reaction.

What about everyone else in the world who might not have ever bought Windows 98

and are considering seeing what all the "fuss" is about HERE?

Do you realize you're not making any sense? We're in a Win98 forum !!! If people don't have it they won't come here! You don't like this forum then don't come here!
Thats missing the point that Windows 2000 is still supported with Windows Updates and yet Windows 98 is not.
We live fine without it. There are tons of unofficial updates and everything is fixed way better than when just M$ was on it. So indeed, Win98 is still supported.
Its not me that had the issues with it, it was a guy I worked with who spent

weeks trying to work out how to get his DVD drive to work with Windows 98.

One day I went in work and he had got it working eventually, but he had been

asking me for weeks how to make it work with Windows 98, so it obviously

doesn't just work - like with most things that "work" on Windows 98 he had

to mess about spending weeks to make things compatible that with Windows

2000 or XP you'd just plug in and it works.

So maybe I should ask the guy that told me this what he has been smoking?

So because you heard of one guy who had a problem with a DVD drive in 98, DVD drives don't work on 98?

Lol. The guy was not smoking but you've got to be pretty high to post such conclusions seriously.

You definitly don't know what you're talking about...

I never said I didn't respect using Windows 98. Just pointing out how pointless it is now its 2006.
Why would anybody want your win2k in 2006? NT crap without the advantages of eye-candy and game compatibility XP provides...

But we respect your choice. "Respect" means that even if we don't like it, we don't come in your forum to say it's useless.

Maybe its this thread that should not have been posted in a forum that will only ever

glamorize Windows 98 and never discuss the reasons/label it as "disrespectful" when

anyone points out these obvious shortfalls of using Windows 98?

The person posting this thread even follows the title with the words "An honest question,

searching for an honest answer." Hahaha! Thats sounds like he has read through this

Windows 98 forum and is SCARED TO ASK because he knows he will get blasted for

even suggesting that Windows 98 and attempting to make it work these days is just

plain wrong when we have better NT based OS's.

Petr and Ponch already answered very well so no point wasting more time.

Hi all,

This is my first post and I see this topic has some up before, but not for me. I understand why any person would not want to use XP or Microsoft in general. I have used Windows 4-ever and I do look for something better, and Microsoft is hard to beat. 98 was fast and a solid OS. I think it should have been supported more or upgraded or something and not just left for dead, which some are trying to breath new life into it. Even with Revolutions 98 pack and all the other changes made from private parties, it is growing bloated. Now I understand everyone has a copy, just sitting there, so they think it makes since to use it. Me personally, I have been testing linux and their are tons of crappy versions of linux and there are some very nice ones. I started testing this year and Mepis lite was a good OS and it is fast.( You got a laptop or older computer? put Mepis lite on it and your set) and it can do anything windows can execpt run windows apps(lol) but some are trying to port that, some are even aiming to run all made for windows apps, like ReactOS, which I have seen posted chat about ReactOS in this forum. I now test Dreamlinux, it's very new and it is fast as well. It's sometimes hard to change or let go of something you liked or something you think you can salavge, but 98 is dead. No matter what you do to keep it alive, it will never be the King it once was. Linux has passed it and win2000 and XP and is just a step or 2 behind Vista. The only thing that Microsoft has to it's advantage is all the apps and programs made for it and not linux. I guess everyone would have to try linux to know what i'm saying, like I said before, I always have used Windows, but this year I figured it was time to give linux a try before Vista was released and see what I was missing. I found out I was missing alot, as linux is the future and it's free and linux has tons of support with regular updates. I am not gonna tell you that Dreamlinx, (the version i'm testing now) is the best OS today, you have to make that decision yourself, but I can tell you, it will soon be. It's that good! So just let 98 (rest in peace) as it should and move on to the next best OS of the future, which is Linux!

thanks for reading

Trailboss

ok, I really Haven't read all replies in this thread so my following reasons is as follows:

1. Small, Compact, Easy to backup esp to DVD

2. I like to play old games (Some which don't work in WinXP) esp DOS

A lot of games flies in win98 and another things is that old Japs. & Chin games won't

work at all in winXP or a too fast processor but in win98 it do have programs to

emulate or slow down the cpu

Actually for me these few reasons are more than enough play around in win98

esp the first one where u install all your drivers and progs and whatever u need

then image your drive to dvd and withins minutes u can reinstall and play

I just love what Petr Quote

"Please also keep in mind that people just have personal preferences and most discsussions like "What is better - ATI or Nvidia? AMD or Intel? Western or Seagate? Gigabyte or Asus? Firefox or Opera? Windows or Mac or Linux? Mercedes or BMW?" are mixed with 1% of technical things and 99% of personal opinion"

For me the most important things is easily maintenance i.e if things goes wrong u can have it back in less than have an hour

Just imagine if winxp can do what DOS os do, i.e if all programs can start from its own directory(Now call folder) I always love that strategy. just copy the directory over to your friend hard disk and it will work

Now we have to deal with reg. problem, dll files and what nots they don't mind putting into

If u dun like wat i am saying then remember "Petr Quote"

Edited by kmleong

If you need to run some old pieces of software or hardware that only work on Win98, why not use virtualization software?

For example: my parallel port scanner has drivers only for win95 and win98 and i use a copy of win98 inside a virtual machine that runs on Windows XP and it works perfectly.

I did this because i could not find WinXP/Win2K drivers for it and i did not want to buy a new scanner since my old one still works perfectly.

Maybe for you this might be troublesome, but for me it was the only way to use that old scanner since i hate dualbooting

If you need to run some old pieces of software or hardware that only work on Win98, why not use virtualization software?

For example: my parallel port scanner has drivers only for win95 and win98 and i use a copy of win98 inside a virtual machine that runs on Windows XP and it works perfectly.

I did this because i could not find WinXP/Win2K drivers for it and i did not want to buy a new scanner since my old one still works perfectly.

Maybe for you this might be troublesome, but for me it was the only way to use that old scanner since i hate dualbooting

What's the make and model of your scanner?

I am not gonna tell you that Dreamlinx, (the version i'm testing now) is the best OS today, you have to make that decision yourself, but I can tell you, it will soon be. It's that good! So just let 98 (rest in peace) as it should and move on to the next best OS of the future, which is Linux!

Ok. Enough. Linux's the best, Win2k's the best, myOS is the only one on earth, the rest worth nothing...bla bla bla...

This is going nowhere.

This thread was made by somebody who wanted to understand why we like Win98 so much. He asked an "honnest question" so we gave him our reasons. Done.

You don't have to agree and we're not forcing anyone to switch to 98 but we're getting tired of fighting flamers all day. Why do you even come?

This is our forum and if you don't like it, leave... :realmad:

And since when the unofficial support is bloated? You just don't like RP Lite? Then don't install it.

Oh, and don't dream... Linux is not the future. (Unfortunatly) Vista is.

The reasons for using 9x are starting to repeat themselves even within this thread.

I say lock this useless thing.

If you think I'm not supporting 9x, the truth is we don't need to be constantly reminded of why we use it, just as we don't need to be reminded of why we breathe. :wacko:

Edited by LLXX

The reasons for using 9x are starting to repeat themselves even within this thread.

I say lock this useless thing.

If you think I'm not supporting 9x, the truth is we don't need to be constantly reminded of why we use it, just as we don't need to be reminded of why we breathe. :wacko:

Yes i agree 100000000000 %

the threads are becoming annoying with these

cliché topics

true but the problem is that the nvidia supplied drivers need kernel sources and the compiler for it.

but this thread is one of those annoying threads that get locked eventually just like the why run 98 thread which reached 20 pages before it was locked