Why continue to use Windows 9x?

DukeBlazingstix

two reasons for me --

first, is a concept of ownership which requires that before a person can confess to owning something, it first has to have full and exclusive control over it. With 98, if I want to boot from an image and/or hack my HDD without requiring any permissions or shells from M$, then I am free to do so. With all the M$ secrecy around NT's relationship with the 1s and 0s on the HDD, the "owner's right of access" to "his or her very own HDD" is restricted to what HAL allows, which raises the question why did the designer of NT hdd system have in mind when he, she, it or they, decided to hide its low-level contents from its theoretical "owner" and thus the question arises, given this secrecy, who then is the actual owner of an NT HDD? This is not the case with 98, or nix. IMHO, the person who paid money for the HDD, and on whose desk or lap the HDD sits, can *not be the actual owner/controller of that HDD, because they do not have a right to examine its 1's and 0's except by going through a M$ shell. (admittedly there has been a recent nix crack of NT HDD which doesn't require use of a MS core or shell.)

second, is that for internet connections, 98 is IMHO the safest for the owner, simply because absent installation of NT driver, a dos-98 internet shell cannot mount and corrupt an NT drive elsewhere in the system. Thus, if an owner is hacked, wormed or slithered or whatever, while using 98, the infection is limited to the FAT partitions in the system. (98se is IMHO safer than a virtual shell on an NT core, especially one by MS.). The owner offers up 98 as a sacrificial lamb as it were, and can easily reboot from an image for a clean start. IMHO, governmen-financed hacker's don't care about 98 partitions, because they know it's too easy for an owner to put the banking and political stuff on an NT partition, which a 98 core cannot see. Absent a reboot during an internet session, there is no easy way for a hacker to mount a NT partition in the system, if all they have to work with are 98's core services. OTOH, if I browse with an NT system, the hacker can easily mount and control FAT and NT partitions from core services.

It's my hypothesis that the paranoid communists, and the Microsoft monopoly that they protect, will eventually disallow 98 connections to the internet, precisely because 98 allows a HDD owner full control of his system. Thus, the main reason to keep 98 alive, is to keep the concept of a purchaser have a right of full ownership of his or her HDD alive (free of MS restrictions and peeking rights).

Edited by Molecule

6)There are so many viruses made for XP and Vista(Even With SP2) there are many ways to easily go through the security.
What security do viruses go through, in XP or 2000, when you are running as administrator? XP as an administrator has no more security than running 9x. In Vista you have to give viruses permission (and viruses are fundamentally like any other program, so you have to give other programs permission as well) to compromise the entire system.

But I should say my install of XP Pro is still chugging along 1 1/2 years without even a repair install (heck, my profile is just as old and never "refreshed" it yet) thanks to not running as administrator.

Edited by redxii

Many run XP as administrator, so combined with their ignorance, it has its share of problems. But those are not exploits. What gets exploited is the wide variety of network services of XP so that it can get through and get the same priviledges as them. I have only limited knowledge of that, though, so I could be wrong.

KEW,

Welcome to MSFN forums.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

I use 98 because I provide free computers to the disabled. I collect any old computer parts and assemble them into working computers. The fastest computer that has been donated so far is a 500MHz Pentium III. Windows 9x OS’s are the only ones that have been donated and are the only OS’s that will run on these old machines. These machines change the lives of many of the recipients and I’d like to thank everyone here for keeping the old OS’s working. You’re helping a lot of people who otherwise wouldn’t have computers at all.
Wow. :thumbup

Keep up the good work.

Best wishes.

I'm about tired of Win98SE too its getting old now

i just got my Win2000 professional cd i haven't installed it

but i will soon.It seem like the only ones who's keeping Win98SE alive

is Petr, LLXX, erpdude8, the guy, MDGx, soporific, jimmsta.

And once these guys and gal quit its over with because most people don't have the

drive and ambition these people have.

People wanna keep Win98 alive then finished these abandoned

packages these so called Win98 lovers left if not stop crying and upgrade your

system and move on because life will with or without you.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

'cause (unfortunally) our -perfectly working- Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS don't have any other driver than Win9x... :(

B000050FH9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

We lend -almost for free- the machine equipped with this card/software to emerging artist, allowing them to learn how to autoproduce their music.

Edited by patchworks

And once these guys and gal quit its over with because most people don't have the

Nonsense. It's not like your PC or OS will suddenly die when those people quit, nor will it suddenly lose all the existing functionality.

Nonsense. It's not like your PC or OS will suddenly die when those people quit, nor will it suddenly lose all the existing functionality.

i meant unofficial patches, as far as i know these are the only ones i know who make unofficial patches

for Win98/SE/ME and are consistent with it once they quit its over with like i said before

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I wouldn't worry too much about future patches. Most eventually will be so incompatible with 9x that even our guru friends here won't be able to modify them enough to work. However, as many have commented, 9x updated with all currently known patches and run with sensible security software does not need as many holes plugged as our current Windows (XP, Vista) do.

Previous holes have been mostly patched up and malware makers concentrate on the OS's used by the masses, not the dwindling 9x OS.

Future hardware will make it impossible, but how slow is my Socket A AthlonXP3200+ with a gig of memory? Either my ATI Radeon x850 Pro or my Gigabyte NVidia 6600GT work fine as long as I install the AGP Gart from Via 4-in-1 4.43 and the rest from the latest Hyperion. And I've collected a nice assortment of backup motherboards and processors so I think I'll be able to use 98SE for quite a while.

He says this with only XP SP2 on his box. Sheesh, better get a 9x system installed. Heh, heh.

I actually did yesterday take a nostalgic trip back to my first computer of the modern era. I say that because my first was really a Coleco Adam!

HP4430/4440 recovery cd on a SiS5598 AMD K6-2/366 ASUS SPAX-M with a whopping 256MB of SDRAM! Glorious Riptide Audio/Modem with a wavetable midi synth (that kind of works like a fixed Soundfont) and Dos support and a big 4MB onboard Video chip with software Direct 3D acceleration. Wow! And my old HP Cd-Writer Plus 6110i still burns great at 8x4x24 speeds (We don't need no bloody burn proof!). Woo Hoo!

Boy it was fun to see all that old stuff. Works great since I removed the 80GB HD I had been fruitlessly trying that board out with and put in a 20GB Western Digital. The thing is just too old to run a large HD, even though the Bios sort of supports it. It will report up to 64GB on the 80GB HD and Windows will see the whole thing, but eventually the IDE Controllers will get bogged down and start with those long file transfer delays and stuff. Works great with the little 20GB HD.

Um, played with it for a few hours and then unplugged everything and put back my real pc. We've come a long way, but if I wanted to that old thing CAN be made usable for certain purposes.

Edit -

Okay, I'm cool now because I unhooked the XP hard drive and installed 98SE. Whew! Worried there for a minute.

Kind of annoyed at myself for keeping the M-Audio Revo card there instead of using the Audigy 2 ZS. Although music is great, especially when I use QSound QMAXII, there are hoops and ladders due to no Sensaura on the M-Audio VXD's, needing to install Roland Virtual Sound Canvas and Yamaha S-YXG50 to get sporadic midi support (they work better on XP with no hardware Direct Sound available for midi related games).

The Creative card offers essentially the same features on 98 that it does on XP, so even though I like the Revo sound and light drivers better I'd have been better off with Creative for 98. Too late as I've got too much audio related software installed. I'd have to format for the card change to be stable. Shucks, I'll just live with it for a bit.

Edited by Eck

Greetings,

If I may add my $0.02 worth of information?

I am not like some of the other members or supporters, retired, on a fixed income, Medical bills to chock a herd of elephants. It is very restrictive when it comes to my favorite past time, keeping Win98SE running to the best of my abilities. My abilities are still learning to be a USER, have been trained by the School of Hard Knocks, make it crash and learn how to regain the hi-ground and working again. Some of the info I have been able to pick-up has been from forums such as this one, CastleCops, Geek.Com, Net-Integration, AntiVir, Wilders, SaferNetworking, X-SetUp (X-Teq SetUp at one time.) and several other.

Cannot afford to keep up with all of the latest technology, hardware or software, will be in LIMBO for the remainder of my life is how thingys are going for me at this time. Unless I can hit the LOTTO, that is another expense that is on hold until these Medical bills are under control.

NO, I am not looking for sympathy nor donations, simple fact of life that there are some of us that are here on a shoe-string budget, meaning it is not very flexable at this time. Hopefully one day thingys will improve, until then I send my largest THANK YOU to those that have so graciously provided this life saving, computer saving, any other type of saving you can think of that would help can be included.

I use TEXT ONLY no html that is why the THANK YOU is only in caps.

Thank you for reading my post,

P.S. One other point for you to consider, you cannot make anythingy "fool proof because we fools are too creative," if you would like a "fool" to do some testing for you just send me a note or PM. Would be very happy to assist if I can, NOT a programmer, Geek-a-zoid, Techy, etceteras. Just a very curious animal and willing to take chances to see what I can learn.

Now Happy Holidays, thank you for reading my post,

I use Windows 98 FE for numerous reasons.

Little Process Needed

Windows 98 can run on 5 processors (6 if you count Opera)

Speed

No matter how you toss it, Windows 98 shuts down faster than XP. This is very important to me when I'm running out the door, and want my computer to shutdown instantly.

No Phoning Microsoft to Activate

Freedom. I can wipe my hard drive clean, add/remove hard drives, processor, memory, sound cards and don't need to phone Microsoft why I'm doing so.

Software Adaptability

I'm shocking a lot of developers that I'm using Windows 98 FE to try out their software, vst plug-ins, etc. when they specify Windows XP requirements. Most (If not all) the programs I use or demo work fine on Windows 98 FE

Less Cluttered

When using XP (Yes. I own XP) I find myself going through a whole ordeal to get where I want to go.

For my requirements Windows 98 FE is simple clean and to the point. And this is why I use it. I've actually changed Windows XP to "Classic Mode." Never liked the kiddie controls Windows XP offered. I don’t need eye candy, Administrator Logins & all the other perks XP offers. I just want something that works.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

No Phoning Microsoft to Activate

Freedom. I can wipe my hard drive clean, add/remove hard drives, processor, memory, sound cards and don't need to phone Microsoft why I'm doing so.

Windows 2000 does not phone home, why not just use that?

Software Adaptability

I'm shocking a lot of developers that I'm using Windows 98 FE to try out their software, vst plug-ins, etc. when they specify Windows XP requirements. Most (If not all) the programs I use or demo work fine on Windows 98 FE

Yeah but I bet even more stuff works on Windows 2000.

Less Cluttered

When using XP (Yes. I own XP) I find myself going through a whole ordeal to get where I want to go.

For my requirements Windows 98 FE is simple clean and to the point. And this is why I use it. I've actually changed Windows XP to "Classic Mode." Never liked the kiddie controls Windows XP offered. I don’t need eye candy, Administrator Logins & all the other perks XP offers. I just want something that works.

Heh, Windows 2000 works and is vastly superior to Windows 98 and its

FAT32 limitation. How do you store a 4Gb+ ISO file on FAT32? The answer

is you don't, because you can't.

This topic is called "Why continue to use Windows 9x?" but for me the

full question would have to be "Why continue to use Windows 9x when

you could just use Windows 2000?"

People use 98 because they don't like the RAM consuming Luna theme

and Windows Product Activation in XP... well then just use Windows 2000.