pulling pictures off camera

dirtwarrior

What is the best and easiest freeware to get pictures off of a digital camera? Maybe even doing simple edit like change the size?

DW

Functionality is built into XP to retrieve a digital camera's pictures...

why dont you try plugging your camear in to your pc and then have a look in my computer and then have a nose around the drive you didnt have before
Exactly my thoughts. Any decent digital camera will be recognised as a USB mass storage device. Edited by LLXX

I might have to remake xp and leave that functionality in. In the meantime what can I do?

In this case the most easy and fastest way could be to use another system with "normal" XP to take the files from the camera. Then transfer to your system through internet, network or burn them on CD. Whatever is possible in your situation. Perhaps a Linux live CD will work too but I doubt that it would recognize your camera.

And yes, then I would make sure that my own XP would include this very basic functionality. I'm impressed by people who are able to modify their OS to their personal needs but I think you went a little bit to far :).

If you removed Windows Image Aquisition (WIA) or support for digital cameras somehow, I'm affraid there's not much you can do. Most camera manufacturers don't write custom software to retrieve pictures because of the built in support with XP, and if they do package the camera with software to do so, it's usually BASED on WIA or other XP technologies that are built-in.

Perhaps your camera isn't even registering properly as a mass storage device if you removed support for that, flash drives or external usb drives.

Depending on the camera some appear as mass removable storage, and some appear as a Digital camera device in My computer (which is best as you can use windows inbuilt like jcarle said)

Try plugging it in a different PC? Turn the camera on when you plug it in to USB?

Picasa is very good freeware.

If your camera can take a removable flash device, my advice would be to just get a flash multireader. I found a cheap usb2 based one at tigerdirect when I went into the local outlet store a while ago.

I never liked the kodak software to interface with the built in flash memory for my Easyshare DX6340, and after I was forced to get a small SD card and reader I never want to use direct software again.

Another point, there is at least one 'brother brand' all-in-one scanner/printer/faxer/copier that has a multicard reader in it and ethernet interface, that lets you access the card reader via FTP!

Picasa is a wonderful freeware tool that grabs images from cameras and your PC, categories them. It can automatically attach them to e-mails in Outlook Express and make them into slideshows, edit, resize, rotate, etc.