Vista Install Frustration

N1K

Lucky day has finally come. I got my Vista and Office licence keys and I wanted to test Vista on my notebook.

A week ago, I've downloaded an ISO image of Vista from Technet site and I've burned that .iso image so I can start installing Vista.

Rebooted my notebook, clicked install Vista, selected installation language, keyboard etc..After that I was asked to type the product key. When I entered product key I got an error: "windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted".

I've burned another image, now on another PC, but error was the same..

Did anyone have similiar problems?

Well guys, you won't believe it.

I've bypassed key validation and continued with the setup. After setup has been completed I've entered the product key and installed it without any problems. Think that I'll contact Microsoft about this problem.

The Vista version is Business. Seems that I've found my first bug in final Vista release :lol:

Uhm. That's not a bug. It's a feature....

You can install Vista without entering a key for evaluation purposes (30 days). You won't be able to activate without a proper key.

So, this was already known. :)

You should have read the first post also buddy :)

Rebooted my notebook, clicked install Vista, selected installation language, keyboard etc..After that I was asked to type the product key. When I entered product key I got an error: "windows installation has encountered an error and needs to be restarted".

Don't tell me that this error I was getting is a feature.. :lol:

Spooky, thx for your reply, but I've managed to install it by entering the Vista key after install completed.

So, basically, it looks like this is some kind of a bug since installation won't except the key in pre-installation stage..

After installation completed I've entered my key and activated Vista without any problems :)

Thats interesting, that it would encounter an error like that. I wonder if it could have been some type driver or service installing during install that interfered. What kind of laptop was this (make/model etc...)?

If you find out what it was would you be so kind as to let me know since i'll be doing about 75 laptop installs for one of my clients in the near future.

Spooky, thx for your reply, but I've managed to install it by entering the Vista key after install completed.

So, basically, it looks like this is some kind of a bug since installation won't except the key in pre-installation stage..

After installation completed I've entered my key and activated Vista without any problems :)

Edited by Spooky

Gotta agree with the others here - I've not seen Vista's install crash like that since a Beta2 install on a Thinkpad laptop (and it was the keyboard driver on the laptop that actually caused it to crap out - imagine that). You said you tried it on multiple PC's, but after d/l the .iso again and mounting it in a VM, did the error occur there?

Here's more info on this..

I've donwloaded the .iso image from Technet site.

Burned it at 8x and 12x speed. I've also, burned it slower the second time 'cause I suspected in that DVD burning speed..

So each time I've run a setup I was getting the same error during key validation.

This is what I did:

This was happening each time I tried to enter the key.. It seems that the problem was in Vista version detection, which is done when you enter the key..

@Spooky, laptop is IBM R52.

If I can judge by these posts of yours guys, I can only guilt my laptop or my DVD, but I wouldn't say it's DVD since I've burned it twice on different speeds and on the different DVD burners.

This issue most probably isn't a bug, but what about Active Directory Users and Computers MMC snap-in? It wasn't workin' on any previous version of Vista and apparently it isn't working with this final version too.. But there's a small guide on what needs to be done to fix this problem. I've posted it on my forum HERE

I still haven't tried the MMC AD Users and Computers Snap-In on this final release since I've just installed it, so I'll try it tommorow and let you guys know how it works..