cmdlines.txt problem

RyanVM

I'm trying to use cmdlines.txt to install the hotfixes/apply registry settings before booting into a GUI. I've got the file in the $OEM$ directory, and it's setup like this:

[COMMANDS]
".\Updates\update.bat"

The Updates directory is in the $OEM$\$1 directory (as the MSFN guide says to). However, cmdlines.txt fails to launch when I run setup. Does one have to use FullUnattended in order for it to work? I ask because I use DefaultHide so I can use my install CD with other people, allowing them to use their own name and CDKey rather than mine :)

Another somewhat related question - does start /wait work for batch files called by cmdlines.txt? Is it even necessary or will it wait automatically for one to finish before launching the next?

for cmdlines text you can only call files right there so that will not work

it should be something like this.

[COMMANDS]
".\update.bat"

then your bat can call other dirs but cmdlines.txt has to stay local. You will need to place update.bat in the same dir as cmdlines.txt

For a more in depth discussion on cmdlines.txt ... Written for Windows 2000, but still relevant. However, it is erroneously stated that files to be run must be on the hard disk. I NEVER copy installation files to the hard disk: all installations are called from a batch file, which is called from cmdlines.txt, and use relative paths to $OEM$ subdirectories on the install CD.

actually durring textmode everything under

$OEM$\$1

$OEM$\$$

$OEM$\c

$OEM$\d

etc

are copied to your hard drive and when you run your scripts they are being called from the hard drive if under those directories. The only exception is ny scripts right under

$OEM$ which are always run from the cd.

It can, and does for me. As Webedic says, $$,$1,C,D etc. are copied to the HDD. That is why I never use them. Root files as well as user-defined folders are not copied to the HDD, can be referenced from the batch file with relative paths, and run from the CD. If in doubt, either watch the CD whilst your programs are running - or eject it and see at which point you get an error.

Example:

CMDLINES.TXT:

[COMMANDS]
".\INSTALLS.CMD"

INSTALLS.CMD:

@ECHO OFF

TITLE Post Install Setup

:: ---------- Update MS Components

ECHO Starting DirectX 9 Install.
START "DirectX 9 Install" /WAIT ".\DIRECTX\DXSETUP.EXE" /opk

Directory Structure:

$OEM$

- DIRECTX

- IE

- PROFILES

- SVCPACK

That's all. No $anything, no install. No clean up of hard drive later.

@WebMedic: Are you sure? I am very open to discussion, but please be sure before you call me wrong. I've been doing installs that way for months. It works exactly as I described. All my files are under a directory with $ ($OEM$), are not copied to the hard drive, and are installed correctly. If it was really hard, you can be sure I would not be doing it, but really hard does not mean impossible or wrong.

Peace.

no sorry to explain if you are doing it from cmdlines.txt and your files are only under $OEM$ like you mentioined above then your are fine my post said this

$OEM$\$1

$OEM$\$$

you will not be able to find those dirs. As long as it is all under $OEM directly like you explain and as long as all your stuff is installed from cmdlines.txt then you are ok.

The only place were the $OEM can be accessed is from cmdlines.txt.

I hope that clears things up.

By the way this is waht I'm going to try next.

I will still have a install dir and and a drivers dir on the hard drive but most everything will stay on the cd.

I'm jsut trying to get my inf installers to run more than one at a time and then I'm going for this method also. I should be there sometime tomarrow.

I must have mis-understood. I guess it was the "etc", "only exception" and "does not do it that way" that threw me off...

I must of also mis-stated: My files are in sub-directories of $OEM$. $OEM$ itself only contains CMDLINES.TXT and INSTALLS.COM. I never reference $OEM$ directly: all my calls use relative paths from inside of it. (See earlier example)

yes my fault I'm not explaining myself well .I understood you are using subdirs. They can be seen fine from cmdlines.txt. However cmdlines.txt is in a virtual world that lives under $OEM$. It is possible to get outside of that but everything that is not addressed directly will default to someplace under $OEM$.

for instance

c:\install\apps\myapp\myapp.exe

will still get ouside of it but only if you use full paths

From guirunonce it has issues accessing dirs that have a $ in the name.

I hope I explained better. I must be getting to tired and I'm not explaing well or maybe I'm thinking to fast and not explaining the little bits or something. Again sorry for any missinformation or understanding.