RAID 0 or 1 just help me. . . pLs. . .

asungotz30

Hi, im newbie for the RAID. . i need to know on how to setup a RAID 0 or atleast RAID 1, i haven't any idea on that, that's why im posting my question to help me on this. . hope someone help me to my question. . thank you and GOD BLESS. . .

If you don't know much about it why do you think you need it?

anyway.....

You will have to provide information of the hardware you use.

Do you want speed? raid 0

or data safety? raid 1

Do you have a raid controller?

You will need two equivalent hard drives. Do you have that?

It is fairly easy to do.

If you google "raid" you will get a tonn of information.

wikipedia

Edited by jaws75

First off - why do you want RAID? The two RAID levels that you mentioned (0 and 1) are about as far from each other in terms of features/functionality as it gets.

First off, RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks. Typically, it is used in situations where data reliability is critical. For example, I store all my important files (school files, work files, pictures, etc) on a RAID array to make sure that I don't loose them.

For more information, read this site. Once you've got more of an idea of what you want, let us know.

Like jaws75 said, RAID0 is used in situations where you need speed, while RAID1 will give you data security (but it's slower).

look i have a computer shop and many impotant files to backup

Well, you're also being as vague as it gets. You've been asked a series of questions by Zxian to help us better understand your needs here and you've just restated a seemingly blind desire to setup RAID. If you have the requirements previously mentioned, especially a motherboard that supports RAID, it is very easy to do.

However, if you just want to backup data, you don't necessarily need RAID. What are you trying to backup? The entire OS, or just certain documents on one PC or more than one? If an entire OS, then image the drive with Acronis True Image. if only certain files, then use an external HD, CD(s), DVD(s), flash drives, networked drive...

Please be specific. This kind of knowledge is essential if you are running or working in a "computer shop" as well.

look i have a computer shop and many impotant files to backup that's why i ask about raid i hope you get what i mean that's why i posted a question regarding on how. . .

I too have a Computer Business and account and customer information that I would not want to loose.

I've tried RAID configurations twice and both times went back to a single HD, with a backup or Storage HD and Image files saved to DVD's.

So I have Double Backups. The first level is to make a Ghost Image to my second HD as often as I feel necessary. The second level of security is to make a backup directly to a DVD, or copy a backup file to a DVD, take it miles away and store it in a Fireproof Vault.

In the many years that I've been at this stuff, I've had hard drives go up in smoke, PSU's go crazy and burn out everything in the PC and one PC stolen. At NO time have I lost all my data. (Maybe some current eMail, but that's about all.)

The only really good backup is NOT the one inside of your PC......it's the one that's NOT in your PC at all.

Using a RAID setup for data security is foolish at best.

I'm currently using "Ghost 2003" to make a backup to drive #2 several times a week. That takes me all of five minutes. I do the backup to DVD once a week, that takes me about 30 minutes.

I've set up similar systems for some of my business customers and they really love it. It gives them total control over their data security. Their backups go into a fireproof safe or vault, for complete security.

I know that's not what you were asking for.....but it's the best answer I could give you anyway.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43cool2.gif

well first of all i'd like to thank andromeda and jeremy for your concern im sorry and im not speak english well, anyway our server specs is Intel D945GNT, 3.0ghz (HT), 2X 512MB Mem., 2x 120gb of hard drive SATA, LiteOn DVD_RW. you know i don't know what to do and i haven't any idea on how to backup entire OS and files of our client although we have 2 HDD, thats why i need to know on how to configure or setup RAID. . please help me. . what do you suggest to me? and tell the best way. . . thanks . . im hoping for your support. . . .

What you should do is purchase a copy of Acronis True Image Home or Workstation to image the harddrive. it's an exact copy of the OS as it is when you image it. If you delete Windows files and registry to prevent it from booting, boot to the Rescue Media CD and restore the image, reboot, all better.

1. Open Acronis.

2. Select Backup.

3. Select All files and folders.

4. Select drive/partition.

5. Specify a different drive/partition, CD/DVD drive to save the image to.

6. After this is done, burn a copy of the Acronis Rescue Media to a CDR. I believe it's 25 MBs or so.

There you go. Now if that OS downs psycho, just restore the image file and everything's all better. :thumbup

More info if you still want RAID. (RAID 1)

The two 120Gb hard drives you have will act as one drive.

You will no longer have 240Gb of storage.

Since one acts as a backup of the other they will be one 120Gb drive. (mirrored)

After converting to a RAID you will loose all data on the drives and have to reinstall Windows.

You will need the owners manual of the motherboard to know which sata ports to plug the drives into (assuming it has a raid controller on it). If you don't have it download it from the manufacturer. Read it! Read it again!

If during boot up you do not see a screen describing raid then it is disabled in your bios. You will need to enable it in your bios.

If enabled and connected properly you should see a raid screen during boot and it will say to hit a key to enter the raid configuration. Do it.

You will have two choices raid 0 (stripped) or raid 1 (mirrored). Choose raid 1 and read the screen for what to do next. after the array is configured you will have to reboot and reinstall windows.

good luck

look i have a computer shop and many impotant files to backup that's why i ask about raid i hope you get what i mean that's why i posted a question regarding on how. . .
Since one acts as a backup of the other they will be one 120Gb drive. (mirrored)

After converting to a RAID you will loose all data on the drives and have to reinstall Windows.

For the record, RAID 1 is absolutely, positively, one-hundred percent NOT a backup when it comes to software, and I think that's what you're looking for from your original post I quoted (correct me if I am wrong).

A RAID 1 array provides fault tolerance for hardware only. A backup in the sense that if you have a failure, you can revert to the backup (in this case, the device). In the sense that if you have a hard disk hardware failure, then a RAID 1 will keep your system running until you can replace the failed disk, and rebuild the array. However, it provides no real backup in the event that there's a software problem on the machine (of any kind), including complete system failure. A RAID 1 in this case would simply give you a second copy of a completely unbootable system - not a good backup.

If it's a backup you want, get a gigantic external drive (or set of drives) and back up your system to this external drive set (and maybe even have a second array with another copy, just in case - if your data is that important, back it up MORE THAN ONCE). I recommend something small, like a set of USB 2.0 drives and a Linksys NSLU2 or a D-Link DSM-G600 network storage unit. Even NTbackup is good enough to handle backing up in that scenario.