2 PC on 1 IP address – how to?

anatol33

Hi!

I’d like to share files from 2 (or more) computers in my home to a LAN where I have only 1 IP address, so a computer connected to LAN should to be something like a router or proxy, but instead of dealing with different IP addresses or ports it mast route different computers as different folders of one computers (may be there is another approach?).

It would be fine if I could: on the computer which is between external LAN and my home LAN connect any share on any other of my computers as a network disk and then share this disk, but it doesn’t work. Is it really impossible in Windows XP?

I thought it is a simple thing – until I tried to do.

Thanks

Just run the Network Setup Wizard on both PCs and make sure the workgroup name for both is the same. They will both have the same IP address, but internally one will be, for example, 192.168.0.100 and the other 192.168.0.101.

Also, I suggest you update to Service Pack 2.

you can't do 2 pc on 1IP, why don't you assigned IP for each of your PC. . .

Because I’m not an administrator of that LAN

Thanks Jeremy, but I’m not sure I’ve got your idea. How should the external network distinguish between my computers?

As the others have said, you need to purchase a NAT router, available almost anywhere computers and computer parts are sold (even wal-mart). The instructions in the router box will tell you how to get everything set up.

IPs are like addresses. No two computers can have the same address or the information (network traffic) will not know where to go. Trying to set two (or more) PCs to the same IP can and will result in all sorts of havvoc that will not be localized to just your machines usually. In short, it could bring down the whole network.

I'd say a real router's job is to provide firewall protection...

That was never a router's original purpose. And personally, I think router incorporated firewalls are junk. That goes without mentioning that I think firewalls are useless in general.

That was never a router's original purpose. And personally, I think router incorporated firewalls are junk. That goes without mentioning that I think firewalls are useless in general.

They come in handy for a lot of people. Not everyone is as smart as you. :hello:

I agree, honestly. The only hardware firewall anyone truly needs IMHO is already present within the very nature of any NAT router.

Edited by jaqie

To OP:

Install 2 NIC's on one PC (let's call it PC "A")

Connect 1 NIC of PC "A" to the LAN, give it the IP address given by your admin.

Connect PC "B" to the 2nd NIC of PC "A".

Run Internet Connection Sharing on PC "A", configure PC "B" for DHCP.