Suggestion box (vLite)

nuhi

i'd like to suggest no GUI boot option

option to change the default views, i really, really hate the details view and cant figure out how to change it to tiles permanently.

some way to install creative sound drivers

• 2 weeks later...

Move all the short-cuts in the start menu to dir named More

Ms like to flood with her products

%SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16

MaxRequestThreads is tcp ports ? maybe there it possible to add more tcp ports open

TcpMaxDupAcks could be the tcp ports per sec

Edited by aviv00

• 4 weeks later...

Public Folders hiding in explorer shell

here's what i hide..

public1.JPG

public2.JPG

so it looks like this..

public3.JPG

public4.JPG

to do it you need to remove the following things

%userprofile%\Links\Public.lnk

and

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{4336a54d-038b-4685-ab02-99bb52d3fb8b}]

@="Public folder"

do not delete the whole public folder from 'C:\Users', may cause installation problems and missing desktop shortcuts

:thumbup

That Public folder is indeed annoying, however I think you need to registry settings for removal:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

; Remove Public folder from Explorer
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{4336a54d-038b-4685-ab02-99bb52d3fb8b}]
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{4336a54d-038b-4685-ab02-99bb52d3fb8b}]

Edited by Jeronimo

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, FOR SURE, I think you should add this...

* Ability to change the default directorys (IE., Windows, Documents and Settings, Boot, ProgramData, Users, Program Files)

* Add a way to add our own custom .REG file at the end. That way, we can add our own little tweaks to Vista.

* Network card setup, workgroup, etc. Like in nLite.

* Default IE page. Make it Google.com ;-)

Thanks for the GREAT software. You're really a life saver! We all appreciate your work very much.

Then to start Aero manually - u can add this by making a script to start DWM service restart

The reg setting I've been applying since the early builds of vLite should help - I remove WinSAT and glass is always enabled for me without restarting DWM or other such intervention.

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Enable Glass Aero Theme
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM]
"Composition"=dword:00000001
"CompositionPolicy"=dword:00000002

Edit: I just reinstalled without the above tweak and can confirm it's responsible for activating glass aero - perhaps nuhi could add this to the existing glass tweak in vLite?

Edited by jamieo

• 2 weeks later...

only one registry key is needed to skip the initial WMP11 wizard, this makes WMP11 open instantly the first time with default settings :)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Preferences]
"AcceptedPrivacyStatement"=dword:00000001

Great work nuhi, but there are some things that just i need:

* Option to select the Security Center Error Reporting modes, i don't need those errors, i usually hide it.

* Select resolution and the monitor hertz'es (if possible)

* Disable the unsigned driver confirmation

---------------

And now the less-needed options:

* Selecting Google for MSIE7 default Search engine

* Choose your own MSIE7 Home page

And other customizable windows vista settings ;), i made just my first vlite disk and it works brilliant, just a lil bit configuration and updates.

System Restore...not to remove it, but option to keep, but disable....

Disk defragmenting...disable automatic disk defragmenting

Services...able to set services startup behavior (as in nLite)...I want to disable SuperFetch, but not to remove it (I hate it, because it does lot of hard drive trashing...and I don't see any performance differences)

• 4 weeks later...

nuhi, your the man!

Anyways, things that should be added to list are the following:

Disable the thumb.db creation (not sure if Vista has this, or if it stores the file(s) somewhere els).

Be able to remove keyboard layouts and languages (just as with nLite).

Tweeks:

disable autorun on all drives (i.e DVD/CD/HDDVD or Blueray) same as with portable devices that use for example Memory Sticks.

add "disable indexing service".

add Folder view selection?

I also have some questions regarding this picture...

viewem2.jpg

which is the following:

It is possible to "remove" the search bar here and on the start menu?

Might it be possible to hide these back/forward icons?

Is there any way to "move" files? I still haven't found this option on Vista..

Anyway to remove the third bar that has the "Organize and View selections" ?

edit: some lines were altered.

Edited by Chrno

hi nuhi, and congratulation for your work !

i have some suggestions to do (don't know if anyone have done it yet) :

- In the Hotfix section, an option to download critical and recommanded hotfix via internet, like "Windows Update Downloader" or like some other soft which offer that possibility, but an AIO with vLite could be amazing !

- Why some update file with *.EXE extension could'nt be add in hotfix section ? i'm thinking to the files "Windows-KB890830-V1.33.exe" (the MRT) and "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe", they are important to the update of the unattend. Or we will must wait for addons like in nLite ?

- An option to patch with vLite the UXTHEME.DLL to apply non-signed themes with the possibility like in nLite to choose the theme, wallpaper by default ... and the TCPIP.SYS tweaks too ...

- that's all :P

Edited by fredpsycho83

• 3 weeks later...

hi nuhi, just installed vista ultimate 64 bit 2 weeks ago and am still getting used to it. i have not run vlite yet so my suggestions may or may not be part of it already. here are my suggestions -

1 turn off security center and make so it doesn't nag you to turn it on. i have it turned off now and it keeps nagging me every restart to turn it back on

2 remove the shortcut arrows on the icons on desktop

3 on the start menu for programs, is there way to expand it so you do not have to scroll to see the things installed? sorry if this is worded wrong

these are just some i have thought of as i get used to vista and sorry if they are part of it already

and as always great job in starting this project :thumbup