Increasing bandwidth

Les5

Hi everyone, i running XP with only 256 mb ram, i am trying things to increase my bandwidth as its pretty slow at the moment, or i mean i would like to have it running a bit better, if i could.

A friend told me that if i got rid of all my icons on my desktop that i don't really use much , it would increase my bandwidth, is this true ?

Also by doing some basic tweaks would that increase my bandwidth ?

thanks

Here's the thing, what do you mean by bandwidth? If you are talking about the speed of your computer, an upgrade in ram will help, as would a faster processor. What you could do though, is scan for adware, use ad-aware or spybot. You could also right-click My Computer->Advanced tab. In the Performance section click the settings button. From there a box pops up. There should be four radio buttons, click the one that says "Adjust for best performance". This will turn off any non essential visualizations. Now, while getting rid of some icons from your desktop will help, it's only a problem if you are using onboard graphics. Either way, you would only notice a difference if you have many icons and you delete many of those icons.

If you mean increase bandwidth for internet, than all you can really do is either increase the cache size of you browser, or get a faster connection. Also, run adware scanners like spybot.