Windows Vista on external hdd?

jammy131

:hello: im new....

i just want to no... when vista comes out i am relly desprate in getting it, i have a 40GB Sony Vaio mp3 player and i dont want to lose XP becuase of school work ect. so would it run because my laptop can run it. im just wondering if the vista will work on the external hdd (as i can use it as a external hdd)??

this has been bugging me for ages!!

the reason why im asking is becuase ob's the external hdd dosen't have the specs as a computer, or dosen't it matter?? becuase the specs are just for running the operating system yea?? not for installing

thanks for you help

James

(please contact me on... james_dollow_rocks_this_world_@hotmail.com becuase i am not using my computer at the moment!) :thumbup thanks again

Edited by jammy131

I'm not sure that I fully understand your question, but here goes...

If I understand your question you should be able to install Vista on an external hard drive. If you still want to keep winXP have it installed on your internal IDE drive - then install Vista on the external drive.

Is that your question?

:hello: im new....

i just want to no... when vista comes out i am relly desprate in getting it, i have a 40GB Sony Vaio mp3 player and i dont want to lose XP becuase of school work ect. so would it run because my laptop can run it. im just wondering if the vista will work on the external hdd (as i can use it as a external hdd)??

this has been bugging me for ages!!

the reason why im asking is becuase ob's the external hdd dosen't have the specs as a computer, or dosen't it matter?? becuase the specs are just for running the operating system yea?? not for installing

thanks for you help

James

(please contact me on... james_dollow_rocks_this_world_@hotmail.com becuase i am not using my computer at the moment!) :thumbup thanks again

Edited by Spooky

I'm guessing the mp3 player is usb2 mass storage? If so, then it depends on your motherboard wether you can boot from usb, but most likely you can. You can set the first boot device in BIOS, or if your board has the option, then a key like escape will bring up a 'which device to boot from' after POST, and you can select to boot from a device other than the usual prefered boot disk. hope this makes sense :)

:thumbup yea that makes sence... i was just warryed that as the external hdd dosnt have the spec. that vista needs... but then it must be how to run it :)

thanks fror your help!

Spooky im sorry for confusing question... never been good in asking.. dont no the tech aspects to evrything :P

thanks im now gunna wate till january and then buy vista and insall it onto the external hard drive.

how will i no if my laptop can run the auro grafix thinig?

thanks again