When will the 3rd party vendors SUE M$

Coolsights2000

After getting a hold of the 30 day trial.. I came to the conclusion that they can keep vista.

I can't wait for the vendors to sue the heck out of M$ ...

BECAUSE

M$ made is so the application can't use some of the old main drive folders,,,,,,,

Now they will have to be rewriiten .. How much is that going to cost the vendors,,,

For example they locked out the old Application Data folders and renamed it to AppData

Just look in your XP folder at how much stuff is under

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

Well the smart application developers won't have to change a thing. Because they will either be dynamically getting this setting from the registry, or using the environment variable 'APPDATA'. Same goes for other folder which have moved. Most had references in the registry for lookup, or have system environment variables assigned.

I can't wait for the vendors to sue the heck out of M$ ...

BECAUSE

M$ made is so the application can't use some of the old main drive folders,,,,,,,

Now they will have to be rewriiten .. How much is that going to cost the vendors,,,

Who cares? Microsoft never promises anyone that the OS will stay the same from release to release, just like any other OS vendor. Should we sue Apple because of the changes from OS9 to OS X? That's just silly.

For example they locked out the old Application Data folders and renamed it to AppData

And any developer worth their weight in code knows to use the system variables and APIs when writing applications, and not direct paths or direct function calls. If you write code that calls direct paths or function calls, then you will be rewriting your code. Read the SDK before writing code for Windows in the future if this is the case.

Just look in your XP folder at how much stuff is under

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

Yes, and now it's in a different location in Vista - but still accessible by the %APPDATA% variable, just as it is in XP.

You're entitled to your opinion about Vista, but your points are a bit silly.

If they hard-coded their applications then they were stupid and need to rewrite, if they used the provided APIs and environment variables as they are meant to then they have no problems.

Folder redirection has been in Windows for years, so you can never assume the user profile locations are C:\Documents and Settings\... if you want your application to be taken seriously.

Well, I guess you don't a clue what you're talking about.

One of the new features in Vista is symbolic links (NTFS Symbolic Links @ Wikipedia).

All the old XP folders such as Application Data exists as symbolic links in Vista. Which means that for all old applications, all the folders from xp (Application Data, My Documents etc.) are still accessible.

So what the heck are you ranting about?

Edited by Menion

ok i think the question has been thuroughly shot to death, vendors and companies have been provided plenty of options to create drivers that will work with vista fine (not saying the hardward is capable but that is another issues) gonna close this before it gets out of hand