problem with internet connection (upload-related)

xtrm

Okay, small update here, I checked the software CD from my NIC and it's from OvisLink (www.ovislink.com.tw) and the exact description is "LFE-8139ATX/8139HTX". I just cleaned up my network neighborhood and will now check out the drivers one by one. An interesting point is, that there are only combined win98 and NT 5.1 all in one drivers, or it's for 95 and 98 first edition. Maybe they messed something up.

NDIS 5 driver should be OK for Win98 to WinXP.

But I have seen too big INF file in some driver packages, Windows 98 can handle 64 KB max.

Petr

Ok, I have updated the vtcp.386 file (and done the TCP Optimizer things), and I have also downloaded executed this patch, it didn't help. I could try the 6.20 drivers for my NIC, but I doubt that it would make any difference. I will still do it later.

btw, as I do not have any modem driver etc., it tells me that my connection to the internet is 10.000.000 bps when I open the connection window. Maybe windows 98 does not get along with that?

-You've now ruled out the driver part of the NIC...well almost; it wasn't a clean install of the driver and uninstalling seldom works 100% leaving behind registry keys etc. It still leaves the NIC itself.

-The connection message Windows gives you is fine.

-Your system is still overclocked, not by much, but it still is. Have you tried testing it at stock speed? Reset the BIOS values to their default so you don't forget anything.

-Since you cannot obtain an other ADSL modem for test purposes we have to skip this variable.

-Have you ever deactivate Proxomitron and Norton or better yet deactivated all the programs (except the one related to your ADSL connection manager) located in the STARTUP tab in MSCONFIG?

-The last step, and it's the one people hate, is a fresh install of Windows with ONLY the following software installed; Windows, chipset driver, ethernet driver and ADSL connection utility...and i suppose the E-Mule program.

-I am not aware of any upload related problems with Windows 98SE. I personnaly have never encountered one in my almost 4 years of ADSL use...but i do not play Counter-Strike or use E-mule, just regular HTTP or FTP uploads/downloads. A relative of mine has used most of the P2P software out there on Windows 98SE, and he never reported any anomalies like the one you are experiencing.

Countach69

Please stop with the OC-thing, and also with the proxomitron stuff etc. I have encountered this problem since I have internet, and 6 years ago I did not have this computer nor did I overclock my old one, and I did also not have norton or even proxomitron on it. It is certainly not software-related and also it has nothing to do with overclocking a computer or whatsoever. The only two things that make sense are a) a windows issue or B) something with the modem.

setup: different PCs

Have you used the same piece or same type of NIC in these different PCs?

I have reviewed this thread again and I think it is necessary to eliminate possible points of failures step-by-step.

According to your description the problem appears when there are too many outgoing connections, right?

It may be problem of the NIC driver so I'd try different NIC with different chip from different manufacturer, e.g. 3COM 3C905B or C or Intel® PRO/1000 GT just to name some below €30. Maybe some of your friends will have some or you can buy one very cheap at http://search.ebay.at/3c905b

This would be the first and easy step.

You can also try to look at the status of the network using netstat command - using -s, -e and other parameters you can find how many concurrent connections you have and other statistics.

You can also try to play with various NIC parameters.

nic.png

But I'd start with different NIC to eliminate possible driver problem.

Petr

Yeah I already wanted to play around with the NIC settings, but there isn't nearly as much to play around with compared to your screen, and nothing that really sounds useful, only wakeup on lan stuff etc.

I do have:

Early Tx Treshold (15)

Link Down Power Saving (disabled)

Link Speed/Duplex Mode (auto mode)

Network Address (n/a)

Receive Buffer Size (64k bytes - the highest)

WakeUp on APR/PING (enabled)

WakeUp on Link Change (disabled)

WakeUp using APM Mode (disabled)

I will maybe get a new mainboard anyway with onboard LAN on it, then I will see if there will be any change.

I have some news. Last night I encountered my problem again, I had eMule running to test if there was any improvement after playing around with my TCP/IP settings, and when it happened, I closed all windows, disconnected from the net, opened TcpView and closed all connections that were closable. Then I reconnected - and hosts were found, but the speed was like...I don't know, 56k would seem like a rocket compared to it. I made a speedtest from another Austrian ISP and it told me 10 (!) kbit/s (I usually have around 2000 kbit/s). And the best thing is - the browser is loading to no end, but the connection does not show any activity at all, only once in a while some kbytes. Just check the speedtest pic here. And the best best thing is - my upload is as fast as usual, or better, even faster than usual with 37-38 kb/s (usually about 32 kb/s). I really don't get anything anymore now. It's really funny to see each post in this topic appear one by one. I never had a 34k modem, but I can now imagine how it must have been :D.

• 4 weeks later...