Load Registry Hive into HKLM\Software\

MrChris

U can use WinPE to load hiv (when u are getting "Access Denied".)

AND

U can also use Vista Bootable DVD. I m using 2nd Solution. boot with vista dvd and go for repair option click on Command prompt and type regedit (this is vista regeditor and independent) u can use load hive option n perform to change the value .

Are you logged on as the system administrator, and do you have read/write access to the actual .hiv file? If you are not administrator of the machine, or the .hiv file is read-only (or on read-only medium), you'll get an access denied error. Also note that you need correct permissions on the HKLM key itself to load the .hiv file.

I am logged in as Administrator. What I am after is in misted of making a few lightweight applications portable I was thinking of just having a HIV with all the registry data related to the app and mount/load the hive before I launch the app. There for PE wont really work.

Havnt tried it but maybe people have already thought of this.

MrChris

Edited by MrChris

I have read a little about Thinstall a while back and yet it does sound like what I was after I am not about to drop that much money for such a solution. to mearly have a few applications portable on my 4GB USB Flash Drive. Currently I am using Ceedo with InstallAnyThing on my 120GB 2.5" hard drive. So far that works pretty good for some of the Apps I use but Ceedo/InstallAnything does not currently support MSI installers.

Other than that I am also looking into and using SVS 2.0 but that is a little bit of a different aproch.

Chris

I've had some experience with SVS, and although it is a bit different, I'm sure you can modify it to work the way you want. It creates the virtual resources in a hidden folder on the root of your main drive, but if you can modify it so that it loads these files from a USB drive instead, then you should be able to move from computer to computer and still have things work.

But even the Registry Path for SVS is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Altiris\FSL" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\fslrdr" so how could I export that HIVE with the installed SVS apps in it and the mount that hive on a different system and make changes to that mounted hive then unload the mounted hive? Kinda brings me back to my original question, only a different path.

MrChris

Edited by MrChris