My Vista problems

poken1151

Ok Ive been going through everything and I was looking around my bios settings and I was just wondering If my BIOS settings can afect the way vista runs, boots or have any of the oprobs iv ever mentioned. One of the reasons I ask is because when vista boots its like it boots at the time ithat was set, it freezes there and after the 10-15 boot time it comes up but the time doesnt change so by the time I wait through all the freezes, slowdowns and weird problems It actually ends up only going through around 10 minuites when in actuality its been on for an hour or 2 (I speak of the clock on the start bar BTW)

EDIT: I forget to mention my bios settings are set to default. Version I dunno which, mobo is ASUS M2R32-MVP

Also is there a possibility that the copy I have is just...bad?...

Edited by poken1151

You may want to try updating your BIOS.

My mobo is an A8R32-MVP deluxe and I had problems with DWM crashing soon after Vista started up. I thought it was a driver issue or maybe a bug that would be eventually fixed. But, after I updated my BIOS I have had no problems. Not exactly like your problem but it might be worth a shot.

Wow thanks for the info. Ill try that ASAP. BTW how do I disable the Windows Time service? Also I just checked ASUS's page, im a little confused on how to update my bios...help?

run 'services.msc', scroll down to the bottom, right click Windows Time, properties, stop and disable.

for ther bios:

1) go to http://support.asus.com/download/download....32-MVP%20Deluxe

2) download newest bios

3) download bios updater (in bios utilities)

4) run the tool and update!

you might wanna check your harddrive isn't running in PIO mode.. make sure it's ULTRADMA. you can check this in your bios, or in device management under IDE controllers. you need to set it in BIOS if it's running in PIO mode :)

My vista problems just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Ok as it seems..no as it is my vista runs as i would expect it to run if it were running properly. But it only runs well after I wake it from sleep. After the 30 minuite boot and 10 minuite desktop wait I have to wait even longer for it to go to sleep and wake it to have it run properly. I realized this after my 4th reboot attempt I had to leave, came back, it was asleep but when I woke it it ran wonderfully. So it seems if I never shut it off it will be ok. lol. As a matter of fact im typing this message from the vista pc right now, but how am i going to avoid shutting down for software installs and whatnot.

Also I have no floppy drive to update my bios...its a custom built pc (built by me) so I never thoughtt to include a....floppy drive.

Edited by poken1151

Is there heavy hard disk activity during this wait? It might be a lagging driver... see some of the other threads here where others are experiencing much the same problems.

If you don't have a floppy drive then you can put a DOS kernel and the flash program on a USB drive and boot from that; the point of booting from a floppy for BIOS flash is so nothing else is running and it's on a pure DOS, the same effect can be achieved by booting from the USB drive with a DOS kernel on it.

Also I have no floppy drive to update my bios...its a custom built pc (built by me) so I never thoughtt to include a....floppy drive.

You can try using the ASUS Update program to update your BIOS from Windows. You can get it from your motherboard support section on the ASUS website:

http://support.asus.com/download/download....model=M2R32-MVP

or install it from your motherboard support CD.

All you do is run the program and choose the .rom file you downloaded from the ASUS website

Not sure if the program works in Vista, but I did it from XP and it was easy.

Also, I hope you noticed that uvmain posted the link to my motherboard instead of yours and you didn't download the wrong BIOS ;)

I wanna say thank you to all you guys on the forum and espeacialluy zoki4, LLXX, uvmain, and the little faery in my head that made me pnder it was the bios. Cause I just upgraded it and loe and behold vista starts up in around 20 seconds.

Thank you, this is why I love forums :)