Two Symantec Apps

chon_

I tried to install NSW 2003 and NIS 2003 unattended, NSW setup went flawless, but when the batch file launched NIS setup it stops saying that there's an unfinished NSW installation, So NSW needs to restart to finish its installation.

Is there any way to install NIS unattended on the second reboot letting NSW setup to finish? :)

I'm pretty sure, from my experiance with norton products, that when you install (most of) Norton products, it requires a reboot. Setup cannot run another Norton product installation until this reboot has been completed. Most of Norton software edits or monitors system files, so a reboot is required for thoes procedures to start. Its just they way they've made thier software.

not to mention all the negative side affects of using norton like running at a sails pace and having apps that hog your cpu. Seen to many problems with customers running norton to ever recomend it for anything but the trash can.

And this does not take into account that thier software does not work as advertised for the virus scanner. Just recently came accross info about how they cheat in the fake virus scanner tests theat most the mags run. It's truly a pitty.

hm well I do just as much linux stuff as windows and well symantic has a way of buying out the little guys with good apps and turning them into pieces of garbage. (read here as ghost). I used to like that progie.

To tell the truth vcom is no better they just bought out ontrack system suite which was majenix before that and they turned it into a piece of garbage also. I mean version 4 runs fine I buy version 5 and lots of things are broke and it runs just like a snail on my systems just like norton does.

I have to evaluate these things for systems I sell. And i'm not into selling stuff just because people have heard of it. I dont need the headaches from all the garbage software out there.

Gotta go with medic on this one, norton hooks far two much sh1t for my liking.

It gets everywhere, and that tool they had that warned you about your system crashing - that thing caused more problems than ME (and thats alot).

Take that man's advice - Ditch That Crap :)

oh for the best well I'm not sure in the firewall arena really there are so many that are so close it 's really a joke.

sygate and outpost are close to the best a few others comming in close second. I personaly choose outpost for it's extra features.

For virus scanners. Nod32 is the best. Period. If you need something thats a big name then trend is a small amount better than the other big names. Trend also includes a firewall but I would much rather use outpost and nod32 for the flexability and speed of both of these apps.

Dont even think about mcaffee it's way worse than norton. I have some contracts and do work for some corps and they had mcaffee I'm there all the time cleaning veri. They almost always have the latest virus. I mean it makes me money and all and at least I didn't make the decission but it would be better just not to have them in the first place(the virus). It would be nicer to get called in to work for other reasons like well whatever.

I can't say that i agree with either of you. I find that Norton Anti Virus works like a charm, is easy to use, and from personal experiance, doesnt seem to hog that much system resources, or cause any problems.

Maybe i have a magical copy :)

Fair enough.

I'm going to download nod32, and give that a go. Since i've used Norton AV since i can remember, i dont really have any other software for comparasin in the area of effectivness.

Ill let you know my thoughts :)

well they do have a trial version but unless you find somebody to give you a key they are not crack friendly but it is good soft. Also to note it has 100% in the wild catch acciracy for virus's that it doesn't know about. It also does not false postive on other things like some cheating virus scanners. caugh caugh norton caugh caugh. and is liter on system resources.

I would say it is one of the few things out there that is worth what you pay for.