Free 1 year Trial Anti-Virus work's with Vista

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Use Avast instead
annoying all them popups, 10 a day on xp, wife wanted to choke me said I better get her CA back so i grabbed her a free trial

You can turn them all off in the options. Avast rules. Free forever.

If you are using Windows Vista with default settings I don't know why you would like to use a virusscanner. As long as you don't download warez there's not much that can infiltrate the system unnoticed. The era that you needed virusscanners and such is over.

Wow you trust Windows THAT much! ;)

I've thought it works better the other way round. I've had Avast for years and my router is all the firewall I need. I've never needed to use Defender or Windows Firewall, or any other anti malware software but then I use Firefox which helps too. After playing Counterstrike Source and wondering why it wasn't working too well I came back to Vista to find a message asking me if I wanted to unblock Counterstrike. Not very useful. I guess once it's unblocked it's no longer a problem but IMO it's just another thing that gets in the way.

Surely you need something for your email (unless like most ppl these days, including me, you use webmail)?

Use Avast instead
annoying all them popups, 10 a day on xp, wife wanted to choke me said I better get her CA back so i grabbed her a free trial

There's no popups. There are tray notifications when you get updates, but you can set those to silent and never see them.

The era that you needed virusscanners and such is over.
Mind sharing what your smoking there dude :thumbup

Don't ever, ever, ever think its over cause Vista already been hacked and cracked beyond recognition. They gonna find a way into your aphrodisiac world, trust me. Its up to you to protect yourself in this WWW, best be smart and stay on your toes and give up that virtual world you living in and use the stuff intended to keep the critters away.

Just saying it don't hurt to be ready then nothing at all except MS cause as most smart people know, MS is too big so a better target

Regardless of what you use.

This was a post about a really good Free AV that works with Vista. Which FYI used to be Free. Yep, they get too big for their britches and then they want to charge for it.

We'll see if Avast remains alive or is forever free

Use what you want but make your own **** post

Avast has been free for personal use for many years. They charge for businesses. I believe it's a very good product. I've recommended it to many people and they have thanked me.

One friend said strange things were happening to his computer. He ran the online checker for Avast and it found a virus. He was running AVG at the time but this didn't find it.

We used Norton Antivirus 2003 at work (a while ago now!). That was a joke. What a PC killer that thing was. It might have been a good virus checker but boy did it like using resources. Don't know if it has improved since then but I'm happy with Avast.

Edited by Dobby