Freeware screensavers? Anyone know any goodones?

cumminbk

Why does electric sheep have to open a port? I dont like it and I dont trust it. I uninstalled right away.

It's open-source distributed computing.

... and it opens a port because it uses the bittorrent protocol to do so.

Why does electric sheep have to open a port? I dont like it and I dont trust it. I uninstalled right away.

Did you even read the electric sheep homepage? It says exactly why it connects to the internet while it's running...

When these computers "sleep", the screen saver comes on and the computers communicate with each other by the internet to share the work of creating morphing abstract animations known as "sheep". The result is a collective "android dream", an homage to Philip K. Dick's novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

It communicates to the "sheep server" to download the sheep created by other computers. Your computer helps render the final images that are shown on your screen. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about this screensaver...

Read the info people... read the info. It's not the government trying to steal your information...

ElectricSheep is easy to block with a firewall. You can download and install the mpg's manually.

There are some free screensavers from Microsoft listed here. (Actually, you need to be a Genuine Windows user, so it's not 100% free):

http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...!1231.entry

I like Holiday Snowflakes, Euro, MSN (you don't have to really use MSN I think), and Valentine's day screensavers.

I can't find the Windows XP 3D screensaver on that site, but I know it exists. BTW, XP 3D is a funny set of emoticons.

Avoid the "Windows XP" (non-3D) screensaver, it is unattractive adware. I'm not sure if I've tried the "Video" screensaver but it doesn't sound very interesting. There is an MS Office Dino screensaver, but I hated it. And most of the themes are very tacky. I just deleted all of them.

Here is a site that offers a Free Screensaver. This particular Screensaver is called: Mediator Screensaver.

Located at:

http://www.axogon.com/en/meditator.html

Here is the description from the web page. This company is also the creator the awesome program called MainVision 1.1 sold by Mainvision.

- - - - - - - - -

Description

Axogon Meditator is a Windows® screensaver that fills screen with strange

and amazing patterns of living colors. You will say 'Ahh!' every time you come back to your pc with this screen saver working. The main features are:

Breath-taking patterns

Patterns and colors change constantly and never recur.

Configurable look and behaviour

You can change complexity, dynamics and mirroring options.

Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP support

Supports all PC Windows versions, all types of processors starting from 200MHz.

It's free!

It was developed as freeware.

---------------------------

Check this fine piece of software out! I use it all the time. It uses the same engine from Mainvision 1.1 to create the patterns. :)

post-44438-1164918593_thumb.jpg

Edited by FixitMad

:lol: Why was I expecting someone to post this?

I just turn off my monitor when I'm not using it...

Yes, in fact a screensaver does not save anything. A long time ago you could use it on your CRT when those where still vulnerable for burning in. They are just for fun.

And the bluescreen is indeed funny. However, for best fun experience it's best to install it on somebody else's system like a unaware co-worker :angel