2 Wireless Access Point Routers Connected Together

gamehead200

What I want to do is the following:

Connect two Wireless Access Point Routers together, one in my basement, one in my room. The one in my room would be connected via uplink to the one in the basement, and that wireless access point router in the basement would be connected via uplink to the regular 8-port router I have...

Basically I want the WAPR in my room (setup as a wireless and wired router) connect via its uplink port to the third port of the WAPR (setup as a gateway) in the basement, who's uplink port would be (and is currently) connected to the first port of the regular wired 8-port router (setup as a regular wired router).

The WAPR in my room would have two wired computers connected to it, and the WAPR in my basement would have another two computers plus the WAPR in my room connected to it. The 8-port router might also have no more use and therefore be disconnected and dust collecting or sold on eBay or to a good friend...

This may seem a bit confusing but I really need to know if it would work or not... :)

I have talked to Drew about it, and he said that its not possible, but is now questioning himself and thinking twice...I had a talk with the system administrator at school, and he said it SHOULD work...Its 50/50 now... :D

OK, so out of this WHOLE story, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and I bring it back to the store... :/

So, I ask once again, WILL THIS CRAZY SETUP WORK OR NOT WORK!? (And please include your reasons why if possible...) :rolleyes:

Technically, it should work in 2 different ways:

1) 1 network with different hubs. To achieve this, DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT OF YOUR ROUTER. I recommend using static IP addresses, but you can use one of these routers as a DHCP server (would work if less than 50 DHCP clients).

2) 3 different networks separated with routers. All of the computers are connected into the Ethernet LAN ports of the router, then the route is connected is the WAN port to the uplink port of the next router, and so on untill you reach your modem. You will have to configure your routeurs and a subtile way, give each subnetworks different IP addresses and Windows shares won't work because they work on NetBios (or NetBeui, I can't remember) and this protocol can't be routed.

For you, I'd recommend setting 2 since setting wouldn't give you that much benefit and is a little harder to setup.

It should work, I attend a well known and renowned Montreal Informatics school and they use three Linksys routers (model BESFR11 I guess) for their 100 computers network and it works just fine.

Technically, it should work in 2 different ways:

1) 1 network with different hubs. To achieve this, DO NOT USE THE WAN PORT OF YOUR ROUTER. I recommend using static IP addresses, but you can use one of these routers as a DHCP server (would work if less than 50 DHCP clients).

2) 3 different networks separated with routers. All of the computers are connected into the Ethernet LAN ports of the router, then the route is connected is the WAN port to the uplink port of the next router, and so on untill you reach your modem. You will have to configure your routeurs and a subtile way, give each subnetworks different IP addresses and Windows shares won't work because they work on NetBios (or NetBeui, I can't remember) and this protocol can't be routed.

For you, I'd recommend setting 2 since setting wouldn't give you that much benefit and is a little harder to setup.

It should work, I attend a well known and renowned Montreal Informatics school and they use three Linksys routers (model BESFR11 I guess) for their 100 computers network and it works just fine.

ggtyh, thanks for letting me know! I appreciate you answering most of my network problems...And as I said above, the worst that could happen is that it doesn't work and I bring it back...Right?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" :)

Anyway, FutureShop have a 30 days money-back warranty... If it doesn't work, he has 30 days (starting on date of purchase) to put it back in the box and go the to store (with the original receipt) to be reimbursed.

Correct! And that's where I'm going to buy it! :D My dad said its OK...And I get $15 off both of the wireless PC cards I bought! :rolleyes:

He first disagreed with it, and asked me why I couldn't just keep the regular ones I have now...I convinced him to get another one! :D

sven, its getting more complicated noe! :) You remember what I said in school...