Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

hey have you ppl noticed the windows update updated? :s @ the Catalog changed.. you now can choose windows xp pro sp1 and home, or was that also before? :s The windows xp pro sp1 has only 13 updates as the windows xp sp1 has 51 :|.. is this just me haven't noticed this before or is this new?

I've been looking for information on how to silently install the KB831240 update, but it doesn't seem to be a standard package and Microsoft doesn't seem to be giving much information. Anybody managed to get it installeded silently ?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on a KB 810217?

Here is the link to the KB article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=810217

I finally got my Unattended WinXP, SP1a CD to work, with applications installed. Then I ran Windows Update to double check my work. Suddenly, this Critical Update appeared. I thought, what gives? How come it wasn't mentioned in the this thread?

Here is the title of the KB article

FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions for Windows 2000 or Windows XP November 2003 Security Patch

Apparently, the Frontpage 2000 Server extensions ship with Windows XP (as per the Security Bulletin). If this was released on Nov 11, 2003, did we miss it or did it take MS a few weeks to make sure it was available via Windows Update?

Here is the link to the MS Security Bulletin

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...in/MS03-051.asp

What does this fix? How necessary is it? When was it released?

Sorry, but all I got is questions, but I figured someone in this community has an answer or two.

-mzwarg

I am working with a Windows XP Service Pack 1a installation with Update Rollup 1 slipstreamed in. I am also installing DirectX 9.0b and Windows Media Player 9

So, if I were to integrate the latest KB into my svcpack.inf, would it look like this: (notice the addition of q810217)

[Version] 
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
KB826939.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
update.exe -q -n
Q330994.exe /Q:A /R:N
JS56NEN.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q810217.exe /Q /U /N /Z
Q823182.exe /Q /U /N /Z
Q824105.exe /Q /U /N /Z
Q824141.exe /Q /U /N /Z
Q825119.exe /Q /U /N /Z
Q828035.exe /Q /U /N /Z
Q824145.exe /Q:A /R:N
DX9NTopk.exe
WMP9.exe /Q:A /R:N
Q828026.exe /Q /U /N /Z
qchain.exe

I believe this is a case similar to the update 811114, which is critical, but only if IIS is installed. This may even superceed 811114, I'll look into it further. In any event, it is an update for the Front Page Server Extensions, which are not installed by default. I don't think many users here have selected to add that Optional Component, thus no talk about it.

Your SVCPACK.INF looks OK to me.

EDIT:: Upon further review: Windows Update now lists that update for me, as well, on a VPC session that did not need it last week. Go figure ... There is also a "new" recommended update listed: 826942, for updated WiFi.

I'm kind of surprised they've issued this update for Windows XP Workstations that don't have IIS enabled. But then its probably just a safety measure. (See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...in/MS03-051.asp under Workaround)

By the way, has anyone noticed that Q810271 still shows up on WU even when its installed from either svcpack or GuiRunOnce? Strange one this is.

I assume you mean Q810217, not Q810271. I have it slipstreamed with the rest of the Type I fixes, and it does not show up in WU, and it is in the registry with Updates (as in updates applied). If it still shows in WU, perhaps the fix is not applied if the Front Page Server Extensions are not installed, and the when WU does not see it, it says it is needed. This would be similar to the USB update: it does not copy the updated file (in VPC) because there in no USB support. But WU still says it is needed. In my case, WU looks at the files (which have been slipstreamed), and even though they are not used, they are the correct version, so no warning. ... just a theory ... in any event, I have not had any problems slipstreaming it into the distributions, as I do all the other Type I. And I am very surprised that this is listed as "critical" even without the extensions installed. Perhaps these bugs will mysteriously work out of WU, as we have seen others do!

It reports as installed (qfecheck) but WU won't have any of it. The only time WU is happy with Q810217 being installed is when the installation is ran at the time the taskbar has loaded.

Strange ... it is definitly OK for me, and I slipstream, and then call the hotfix from SVCPACK (as always ... ). Must be the slipstreaming that makes the difference. Maybe the engineers got bored at MS, since there was no December update, and they are playing with us!

Bloody Windows update..

i installed the update rollup during my unattended install, yet windows update still shows it..

running qfecheck.exe shows:

KB826939: Current on system.

Also, windows update also shows Windows Media Player 9 series, even though it's already installed (i ran it and checked!)

any idea why it would do this?