Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

824145 update doesnt install properly, I added it as a type 2 hotfix but after the install it shows on windows update and doesnt show in qfecheck.

828035 also doesnt work for me (type 1)

819639 shows up but not on this thread I think

828026 also didnt work (type 1)

IF I run with /? why do I get different switches to what are shown here?

Note I did have type1 and type2 hotfixes that worked fine and I get no errors during installation so I have no idea why these 3 updates didn't work.

Edited by Chrysalis

ok done some quick investigating and here is my conclusion

828026 is a wmp update and it gets installed before I install wmp9, I read somewhere on this site about wmp updates need reapplying after a wmp install so I will try that out

824145 is a update for IE6 SP1, I dont know what version IE6 is on a fresh install of XP SP1 but if IE6 is pre SP1 then I would need the IE6 patch not the IE6 SP1 patch I will try this out.

828035 is a fix for the messenger service, which I think I disable on install if this is the case then this may explain why the update did not install.

828750 is removed

I have just tested again and it did fail again so any other idea would be helpful thanks.

Also I found out the hard way the new switches dont work, they must come into affect after these updates are installed or something however most of the updates still installed, including the wmp ones, however the following still fail.

There are 2 new failures here but I am going to assume this happened because of the switch mess up and will have to try yet again some time but it wont be right now, the one that is really bugging me right now is 824145.

Ok this is what I am doing, rollup patch is slipstreamed rest are run using guirunonce batch file.

type1 fixes switches /z /n /u /o

type2 fixes switches /q:a /r:n

js56nen.exe

824145 - only 1 here that fails

I am going to put back the SP1 version of 824145 before my next attempt

Edited by Chrysalis

Here's an up-to-date list of hotfixes I currently have, you may want to check the byte sizes with your hotfixes to check they match, so you know you have the correct one:

369,504     js56nen.EXE
1,992,832   Q330994.exe
5,319,000   Q816093.exe
433,952     Q823182.exe
346,400     Q824105.exe
2,728,544   Q824141.exe
2,226,304   Q824145.exe
305,248     Q825119.exe
2,908,808   Q828026.exe
365,152     Q828035.exe

ok I did do it again once more and it worked perfect, it has cheered me up a lot.

816093 I do have but install in a diff part of my startup seperate from the other hotfixes. I use SP1 not SP1a.

also 828750 I removed like you said I should you have that listed with 824145.

[ CAN'T FIND UPDATE.EXE IN "XPCD\i386\Update" ]

I was following the "Creating an Unattended Windows XP CD" guide and got to the section "Installing the Hotfixes" when I noticed that in the sample code for "XPCD\i386\svcpack.inf" (under [setupHotfixesToRun]), a file named "update.exe" is called from "XPCD\i386\Update\".

The only things I have in that directory are the hotfixes I downloaded to be installed - none of which are named update.exe (all file names begin with Q and are followed by a 6-digit number [QXXXXXX.exe]) I do however, have a file named "update.inf", and another named "update.ver".

What is "update.exe" and where can I get it? Did I miss something?

---------------

[ LISTING UPDATES IN "SVCPACK.INF" IN NUMERICAL ORDER ]

In the same section mentioned above (Installing the Hotfixes) in the 7th paragraph:

The entries shown in [setupHotfixesToRun]are just an example. All the hotfixes you have downloaded, renamed and copied to the Update folder should be added under this section in svcpack.inf, in numerical order.

it stresses that the updates must be listed in numerical order, yet no one else's code for "svcpack.inf" that I saw in the forum, listed them in numerical order. IS IT NECESSARY?

I was following the "Creating an Unattended Windows XP CD" guide and got to the section "Installing the Hotfixes" when I noticed that in the sample code for "XPCD\i386\svcpack.inf" (under [setupHotfixesToRun]), a file named "update.exe" is called from "XPCD\i386\Update\".

The only things I have in that directory are the hotfixes I downloaded to be installed - none of which are named update.exe (all file names begin with Q and are followed by a 6-digit number [QXXXXXX.exe])

http://www.MSFN.org/articles.php?action=show&id=38

The only things I have in that directory are the hotfixes I downloaded to be installed - none of which are named update.exe (all file names begin with Q and are followed by a 6-digit number [QXXXXXX.exe])

http://www.MSFN.org/articles.php?action=show&id=38

Thanks, but that doesn't help much, as I have already used that guide to slipstream the hotfix rollup. After opening "WindowsXP-KB826939-x86-ENU.exe", within the strangely-named folder that it extracts to, "sp2\update" contains only the following three files:

• KB826939.cat
  • update.inf
  • update.ver

Are you talking about "update.exe" within the "common" directory?

If not, could someone explicitly answer my question?

[ CAN'T FIND UPDATE.EXE IN "XPCD\i386\Update" ]I was following the "Creating an Unattended Windows XP CD" guide and got to the section "Installing the Hotfixes" when I noticed that in the sample code for "XPCD\i386\svcpack.inf" (under [setupHotfixesToRun]), a file named "update.exe" is called from "XPCD\i386\Update\".

Didn't realize you'd already had read through the link - but when I run the patch as implied there, under the "update" folder under SP2, I have the following files :

eula.txt, KB826939.cat, spcustom.dll, update.exe, update.inf, update.ver

Didn't realize you'd already had read through the link - but when I run the patch as implied there, under the "update" folder under SP2, I have the following files :

eula.txt, KB826939.cat, spcustom.dll, update.exe, update.inf, update.ver

Man, that's wierd - under my "update" folder (the one with the wierd name):

In the "sp2/update" folder I have:

• KB826939.cat
  • update.inf
  • update.ver

In the "common" folder I have:

• spuninst.exe
  • update.exe
  • spcustom.dll
  • spmsg.dll
  • Eula.txt

I wonder how that happened.

Is it ok to use update.exe from the common directory?