Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

@baliktad: I like the prudent approach: CYA. I'm sure it will work great for me.

I don't get it about JavaVM. I liked your post about combining the versions. (Being the way I am, I won't try it 'til I write a script to do it for me.) Is this the result of that write-up? Not hex-modified, but repackaged?

I looked at the WinPE post: looks like you just boot WinPE and call WINNT.EXE. Just the same as you could do from DOS (in about 10X the time...). Did I understand correctly that you use Bart's version?

Glad to have you aboard.

My tip for you: Click on the word Posted: just above, in this post's header!

I guess I was a little unclear. My unattended installation script uses only original binaries from Microsoft. The line

..\Q816093\msjavwu.exe /c:"javatrig.exe /exe_install /l /q" /q:a /r:n

refers to the msjavwu.exe I downloaded from the Windows Update catalog. It's the 3810 "upgrade only" patch. Since I slipstream SP1 (not SP1a), I already have the JVM and hence no need for any funny business. We just patch and move on. (Side note: When SP2 comes out, since I doubt it will have the JVM, I will probably have to resort to installing my Franken-patch on SP2 slipstream installs.)

As a completely separate issue, I also did the combined JVM installer thing since I frequently run across users who do not have the current build (or have no JVM) for one reason or another. I wanted to come up with a solution that I could apply to any workstation, regardless of OS or service pack level, or any stupid licensing battles Microsoft and Sun are having this week. Hence the writeup.

As far as WinPE installation goes: I am calling winnt32.exe, which (surprisingly!) is the 32-bit version of the Windows setup that you would normally call from within Windows to initiate a new or upgrade install. Dos boot disks can only call winnt.exe, the slow, deprecated, old 16-bit installer. I actually use a "real" version of WinPE 1.2 built from the Windows Server 2003 OPK. Bart's PE Builder, however, is phenomenal, produces basically the same thing and is infinitely extensible. You should have no problem starting setup from a PE Builder WinPE disk.

Thanks for the "posted" tip, I'll keep that in mind.

i slipstreamed sp1a into windows disc and after installing windows @ wu site it says i need to install the vm update.....according to your suggestions you say not nesc. to download.....hmmm.....microsoft must have given me sp1 instead........just downloaded it a week ago........anyhow thanx for links to updates :)

If you got it last week, then its SP1a, which removes JavaVM. There was a thread I saw this week which showed how to get the full 3809 build and 3810 update put together in one package.

oops my bad.....a**-backwards i was :rolleyes: thanx for clarification......

baliktad:

I'm glad there's another winpe fan on this forum. I agree with you bart's pe builder is very useful, a great resource to use.

What experience do you have with winpe? I've used winpe for awhile. First as a recovery means, lately as a way to install win2k and xp. One of my goals is to add features to winpe like nero (bart beat me to it), and recovery tools like r-studio. I've also noticed that michael k yeung and bart use a documents and settings folder for winpe. Do u know how they use this folder to customize the desktop? Please share any ideas you have in the winpe forum.

-gosh

Looks like KB824141 and KB828035 both got updated.

For that matter, three patches have been updated.

MS03-042 (826232)

MS03-043 (828035)

MS03-045 (824141)

However, this is hardly an issue for anyone to sweat about. For the record, the actual patched files have not changed. (See KB 830846). The only thing changed is the update engine (update.exe), and the issue only affected people who take away the SeDebugPrivilege right from administrators. (If you don't know what that means, don't worry, none of this affects you.)

If you've already installed the patch, you're protected and do NOT need to reapply. The end result of using either patch is a fixed system. Carry on!

First I like to say, this is an amazing site. I have been doing the hotfix installation with batch files for a long time, slipstreaming is definitely the way to go.

I followed AaronXP's guide and originally I had problems. But after some investigation, I managed to get most of it to work properly (Thanks Aaron)

But I still have two problems. When I go to Windows Update, Critical Updates are still listed. Reading through this post several times tells me that I am not the only one. The updates in question are

Q330994 - April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express

Q828750 - October 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer

Anyone have a solution to this? Here is a copy of my svcpack.inf

[Version]

Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

BuildNumber=2600

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB826939.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

DX9NTopk.exe

WMP9MM2.exe

dotnet.exe

update.exe -q -n

Q823182.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q824105.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q824141.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q825119.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q828026.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q828035.exe /Q /N /Z /O

Q814078.exe /Q:A /R:N

q330994.exe /q:a /r:n

Q816093.exe /Q:A /R:N

q828750.exe /q:a /r:n

Q322011.exe -q -n -z -o

Q814995.exe -q -n -z -o

Q817778.exe -q -n -z -o

Q822603.exe -q -n -z -o

Q829558.exe /quiet /norestart /o /n

qchain.exe

Q282784.exe -q -n -z -o

Comments, inquiries are more than welcome.

Some people are unable to get their IE&OE patches installed for some reason. I don't know why to be honest.

When I did the Update Rollup tests, I used a very basic winnt.sif, 2 hotfixes in $OEM$, no apps or tweaks, and a clean Windows XP SP1 Disc.

The only other thing I can suggest is you can try getting both of those patches installed from GuiRunOnce instead, it shouldn't be a problem, as some people install hotfixes from GuiRunOnce and have reported no problems.

Wireless Update Rollup Package For Windows XP Is Available

This update provides support for Wireless Protected Access, a new standards-based wireless security solution developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance. WPA is intended to replace the existing Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) standard, offering much more robust methods of encryption and authentication and resulting in a new level of protection for customers taking advantage of the wireless features of Windows XP. For more information about this update, read Knowledge Base Article 826942

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826942

I seam to be having a few issues with this. I've created the svcpack file needed to install the updates but when I install the OS I get a switches error screen. Here are the files as they are listed in the svcpack.inf file.

[Version]Signature="$Windows NT$"

MajorVersion=5

MinorVersion=1

BuildNumber=2600

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB826939.cat

[setupHotfixesToRun]

update.exe -q -n

Q329692.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q329256.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q810032.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q327979.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q810243.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q329623.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q323183.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q331320.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q815485.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q815411.exe /Q /U /N /Z

q816868.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q814995.exe /Q /U /N /Z

q330994.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q820291.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q817778.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q821253.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q812415.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q810272.exe /Q /U /N /Z

JS56NEN.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q827560.exe /Q /U /N /Z

q828750.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q811114.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q820128.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q828026.exe /Q /U /N /Z

q820369.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q824105.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q822603.exe /Q /U /N /Z

q331488.exe /Q:A /R:N

Q825119.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q823182.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q829558.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q817027.exe /Q /U /N /Z

q813503.exe /Q:A /R:N

q814039.exe /Q:A /R:N

KB829558.exe /Q /U /N /Z

KB821253.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q322011.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q282010.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q828035.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q824141.exe /Q /U /N /Z

Q826942.exe /Q /U /N /Z

qchain.exe

I've run the files themselves with the switches and they have worked fine but when they are here I can not get away from the error screen. Any ideas?

I just thought of something - Q828026 is regarded as a general Media Player hotfix isn't it?  Doesn't that mean that it'll work without WMP9?  You know, like, the default WMP8 & 6.4 setup?

Its a patch for all Windows Media Players, however if you install this for WMP8, then install WMP9, the patch will need reinstalling, as I have discovered.