Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

Brian Quote:

Noted that the "makecab svcpack.inf svcpack.in_" step was missing. (or removed?)

When I skipped turning svcpack.inf into a compressed file, the update Q828750 failed to install during unattended installation.

Well, in my case at least, it seems it makes no difference whether I cab it or not. And yes, svcpack.in_ gets deleted automatically, apparently when you apply the Slipstreamed Rollup 1, following AaronXP's guide.

Thanks for the answers to my DVD ISO question, rys, rstryker and Geckotek.

:)

snip

[setupHotfixesToRun]

update.exe -q -n

JVM3809.exe /Q:A /R:N

JVM3810.exe /Q:A /R:N

DX9opk.exe

WMP9opk.exe

Q330994.EXE /Q:A /R:N

Q819696.EXE /Q /U /Z /N

Q824105.EXE /Q /U /Z /N

Q828026.exe /Q /U /Z /N

Q828035.exe /Q /U /Z /N

Q828750.EXE /Q:A /R:N

JS56NEN.EXE /Q:A /R:N

Q823182.EXE /Q /U /Z /N

Q824141.EXE /Q /U /Z /N

Q825119.EXE /Q /U /Z /N

QCHAIN.EXE

snip

hey dude, you dont need 819696 if you install DX9b

Well, Aaron, do you think WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe replaces Jet40SP7_9xNT.exe?

EDIT:: It looks like you did not have Jet40SP7_9xNT.exe on your list ... Anyway, today Windows Update thinks I need WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe, and it is on the critical list.

Well, Aaron, do you think WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe replaces Jet40SP7_9xNT.exe?

EDIT:: It looks like you did not have Jet40SP7_9xNT.exe on your list ... Anyway, today Windows Update thinks I need WindowsXP-KB829558-x86-ENU.exe, and it is on the critical list.

hmmm, do you have Microsoft Access installed? Jet 4 is only listed in Recommended Updates from my end.

Strange, I have no idea why I had the Jet SP7 fix there. I must have needed it at one moment or another. now it is gone. However, this morning WU did tell me I need 829558, and that is on a fresh out of the box installation. I do all the recommended updates as well (don't ask ...), so perhaps this is a critical update to a recommended update.

I'm a little unsure of a couple of hotfixes here. I haven't been following this from the start so forgive give.

Q817778.EXE

I don't have anything with 817778, would that be xp pro only do you think?

Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch

@Greenmachine

You have this down as going to your HFTYPE0 folder. Is this using the batch file aaronxp mentions at the top of this thread? He also says you can run it from guirunonce, is that no good in this case?

Thanks for any help.

I'm a little unsure of a couple of hotfixes here. I haven't been following this from the start so forgive give.

Q817778.EXE

I don't have anything with 817778, would that be xp pro only do you think?

Its not on the Critical list, only recommended. This update gives Windows XP Home/Pro support for the new IPv6 protocol.

It will be included in Service Pack 2, but if you're using an ISP or services that use IPv6, then you will need this update installed.

@RoyalBox: Funny thing, I almost never notice these pinned threads. What I have listed for HFTYPE0 is a repackaged version of MDAC 2.8. To repackage it, I simply wrapped it with IExpress, and pass it the command line, resulting in a silent and switchless installation. The main reason I did it this way, is that I could not find an easy way to pass it the command string, which has the quote character in it. I could get the quotes into neither SVCPACK.INF, nor CMDLINES.TXT, nor [GuiRunOnce], nor RunOnceEx in the registry, and I'm trying to remove everything from the .CMD scripts. GuiRunOnce may be the best place to call it - through a script- as it may go faster, but I just grouped it with the rest.

The only reason I use Q817778 is that my objective is to have all hotfixes, critical as well as recommended, up to date. If I don't do it, I know some user will ...

To repackage it, I simply wrapped it with IExpress, and pass it the command line, resulting in a silent and switchless installation.
So I get this absolutely right, you just add Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch on the 'packaged files' screen, and what command line do you add on the next screen? How do you know which command line to use? Sorry about this greenmachine but I seem to have a blind spot here.

Many thanks.

No prob: I get blind spots often.

The command you should use for the hotfix is:

Q823718_MDAC_SecurityPatch.exe /C:"dahotfix.exe /q /n"

The command you should use for the 2.8 update is:

MDAC_TYP.EXE /Q:A /c:"dasetup.exe /q /n"

This are the commands you would use to run silently from the command line. They go in the top line. The next line is just another command line you can run. I doubt there is any difference between them, other that one is first, the other is second.

I think the problem is that one expects IExpress to be more complex, but all it seems to do is package some files and a command line, extract the files to a temporary folder, and run the command.

You may want to just install MDAC 2.8 instead of the hotfix.

PRELUDE OF APPRECIATION

[What's up, brethren? Being a newbie, i want to first extend my obligatory gratitude for not only the guide on "Creating an Unattended Windows XP CD" but for the MSFN in general (as I am just beginning to appreciate the overall depth of the site).]

ACTUAL QUESTION:

Will slipstreaming the Update Rollup 1 (KB826939) into Windows XP SP1 alleviate the need to install any of the hotfixes mentioned in the main list? If so (which I assume), which ones?