Windows 2000 SERVER Logon Problem

vkostas

Hello guys hope you can help with my little problem.

I have a server 2000 installation with raid (mirroring) 2X40GB disks.

My customer wanted bigger capacity, so i changed the disks with 2X80GB disks.

i ghost the old 40gb disk to the new 80gb disk, rebuild the mirror.

And so far so good, windows starts again, loads, comes to logon screen!

i press CTRL+ALT+DEL and enter but windows got me back to the logon screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

again CTRL+ALT+DEL and enter and AGAIN BACK TO THE LOGON SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!

I can't go inside to windows anymore!!!!!!!

I'm trying to boot in safe mode, the same there, can't go inside.............

no matter what i do nothing...........

AND i get a message from windows saying that there is no pagefile or it is corrupted, giving me instrunctions to go inside and set it.!!!!!

But how to set it again, IF I CAN'T LOGON ANYMORE????????????????????????????

Any ideas how to overcome this strange bug!!!!!! (i guess it's a bug)

Thanks!

XP!  :/

The guy is tokin aboot server here...

My bad... :rolleyes: Read too fast...

Reinstall Server 2003 and call Microsoft up and say you had to reinstall it because of a problem? Or copy the wpa file and reinstall it and then overwrite it with the old wpa file... :)

My bad... :rolleyes: Read too fast...

Reinstall Server 2003 and call Microsoft up and say you had to reinstall it because of a problem? Or copy the wpa file and reinstall it and then overwrite it with the old wpa file... :)

erm...You Server 2000

My bad... :D Read too fast...

Reinstall Server 2003 and call Microsoft up and say you had to reinstall it because of a problem? Or copy the wpa file and reinstall it and then overwrite it with the old wpa file... :rolleyes:

erm...You Server 2000

OMG! I think I have reading problems! :)

But at least it was one of the operating systems based on NT! :D

gamehead200, you might want to stay out of threads that you have no knowledge to answer to. Most of your replies lately seem to be 'Reinstall Windows' or 'format your PC'. Those two choices should be the last thing a user ever has to do when no solution can be reached.

</end rant> :)

If the Recovery Console (Boot from 2000 CD) mode cannot repair the installation - you may want to perform a parallel installation to gain access to the server:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;266465

Hope this helps  :)

I've tried the recovery console but i didn't find something to help me,

i'm not so deep in 2000 server command line options--rescue commands!!!

The only thing that works without having to format and install again, is to run setup again and choose an update to the existing installation, after that i have my server running again with no settings lost.

But i had another case where the update was not an option during setup....!!!!

And i came to notice that this problem occurs when the partition you install 2000 server is FAT32, haven't any problems with NTFS, so far...

If your disks are just mirrored, take one of them and install it inside a clean windows 2003 computer (just 2003 and nothing else), make a backup of the required data, and reinstall your computer.

It might be the easiest solution. It could be because of the SID of the machine (the security ID generated at install time) that is not matching with the configuration of the previous installation (i think harddisk type and size enters in computing of SIDs)

All windows-nt based system (like NT4, Win2000, WinXP, Win2003) generate unique SIDs for security reasons (i can't go more in deep, i'm working and i'm not over documented on this), so the best is to reinstall. I had the same problem when changing harddisks/motherboards on various Win2K/WinXP systems.

can you acces disk drives from network? using de IPC$ \\server_name\c$

Do you have terminal services installed?

if you can access IPC, backup everything and reinstall :) . Before you reinstall you have to run the disk diagnostic utility to check if is there any phisical problems with hdd's.

Vx

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I experienced same kind of problem today, I did some disk configuration changes en couldn't login to my Windows Server anylonger.

Based on what I read in this thread I tried to connect remote to the Server, this worked fine. From within "System Management" connected to my server I noticed that my drive C: was changed over to F:, within my logfiles it showed a lot error with file not found. Which was now very clear why.

From the "Logical Disk Manager" You can't change a drive letter for the bootup disk. However Microsoft brought the solution with Knowledge Base Article 223188. This document describes how to change the drive letter within the registry. Again I connected the registry from my remote server.

Note: I used the IP address of my remote server, use name resolution didn't work (probably DNS problem)

Also check out Knowledge Base Articel 249321, Unable to log on if the Boot Partition Drive Letter Has Changed.

Good luck,