East Asian Language Support?

aLeXis

• 1 year later...

sorry for necroing the thread

NJSTAR Communicator can be used to view East asian / CJK character.

but i have other problem with CJK filename on (english) win98SE system:

Sometime i run into condition where the need to create file/directory with CJK character on it,

wether via Compressed files, torrent or installer.

the problem is some of that filenames works, but the other doesn't.

after closer inspection i found out that if that ANSI converted directory/filename contain win9x illegal filename character ( such as: ><:| ) windows would refuse to create the respective directories / files, thus the process failed

i have tried installing Microsoft Global IME and change the regional setting into Japanese, but that doesn't help

i know that CJK filename works on respective localized win9E version, is there a way to make it works on english win98SE?

i'm using chinese ver 98and my system doesn't support english and more western language when i finished setuping win98.but,there's an easy solution.you can download language support from windows update.

GL

Edited by aqcww

I'm afraid an English 9x system cannot support Unicode filenames. It may be capable of displaying Unicode characters in certain applications with dedicated support (BTW, a freeware application that allows reading/writing Japanese - Hiragana & Kanji - is JWPce), but only after adding the respective IE modules (input and display support) and the proper IME for MS (there are 2 different IMEs: one for users of OfficeXP and one for non-OfficeXP users).

Also, the default Unicode font in Win98SE is MS Mincho, which apparently is incomplete, so one may want to install alternative Unicode fonts, such as Arial Unicode MS and/or others.