Driver signing in Vista RTM :wacko:

cyberman

:wacko: I have installed Vista RTM x64. And i have Creative Live soundcard. it can be loaded when i press F8 and choose "Disable Driver Signing" but i'm tired to catching this menu. how can i completly disable this? i have tried BCDEDIT,VistaBootpro but they didn't work. PLEASEEE HELP MEEE!

Use gpedit.msc and navigate to:

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation

and enable the "Code signing for drivers" and then choose "Ignore". It sure helped me install my Nforce audio drivers. :thumbup

That bcdedit fix was removed by Microsoft, as was the same function from MSCONFIG, in RC2 and RTM. For now, until another way is figured out, we need to F8 at every startup and select to boot without driver signing. The bcdedit change appears to work, but has no effect. Ya gotta do the F8 EVERY startup for driver signing to be turned off.

There's probably a registry setting somewhere where we can permanantely turn it off, but I haven't seen that anyone has found it yet.

Microsoft REALLY wants us to use signed drivers only!

When I had my Audigy 2 ZS installed I didn't need to disable the driver signing with the latest Creative beta driver. It was, well, whatever Creative has working with their latest driver, working fine.

I've since removed Vista as I want to just wait now for the retail DVD and an official license. I wasn't thrilled with running the RTM with the RC2 files hack. I felt a bit dirty! And going back to RC2 seemed pointless.

I also installed my M-Audio Revolution 5.1 instead of the Creative cards. I just noticed that the 5.1 is a Via GT chip rather than the 7.1's HT, so the Via Vinyl Audio driver would probably work on it. I might try it with Vista and see what happens. If I do, I'll manually update to it from Device Manager then run Via's setup to hopefully get the control panel. Via does have a beta Vista driver available now. I don't think the Via setup can install the driver properly on the M-Audio card but I've read elsewhere that manually installing the driver then running setup has worked.

Now, with the M-Audio card I do install other stuff on XP. Stuff which I doubt will work on Vista. Hopefully at some point they will. I use QSound's QMaxII, Roland Virtual Sound Canvas, Yamaha S-YXG50, TotalRecorderPro, and the Turtle Beach USB Midi connector for my keyboard. I also use the old Voyetra Digital Orchestrator Pro, along with the demo stuff on the M-Audio cd like the Ableton Live 4 demo and the Reason 2 demo to play with midi music. Nothing serious, I just play around with the stuff.

When I had the Creative card installed I noticed that the Synthfont program DID work, but of course that doesn't install as a midi driver. I hope there will be some way to use software midi drivers in Vista. For now, I don't see any midi driver selection available in any of Vista's audio control panels. It's going to P me off if they never implement that. I want my Roland and Yamaha to work! Not as a VST plugin to expensive programs I won't buy, but as a midi driver. The Roland is nice because I can lower the latency in its control panel so my keyboard plays over the computer speakers in sync with my pressing the keys. This, without expensive ASIO compatible software, just over the normal Windows midi output path.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
command line is -- bcdedit -set loadoptions \”DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS”

actually the command to disable driver signing in Vista x64 requirement is as follows. BTW I need to do this for VMWare to run on my install.

from an admin command prompt.

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

yes DD is not a misspelling.

Reboot and install to your hearts content.

Ok here's some more information too.

The following KB articles (and are part of windows update) will disable the ability to /set the loadoptions to ignore

KB932596

KB938979

so if you MUST have something running with out a signed driver these hotfixes you'll need to uninstall.

Ok here's some more information too.

The following KB articles (and are part of windows update) will disable the ability to /set the loadoptions to ignore

KB932596

KB938979

so if you MUST have something running with out a signed driver these hotfixes you'll need to uninstall.

Don't install these hotfixes if you want to use unsigned drivers. They break the BCDedit options to disable driver signing!!!! :unsure:

Edited by Skywalker

Unfortunately, to completely bypass this limitation you should be running x86 Vista, or get a signed driver for the device (or a new device). I know none are easy "fixes", but technically x64 is much more demanding about driver structure, so using unsigned drivers at least presents a greater possibility that the driver will cause an unstable system.

You can turn off driver signing for good in one of three ways:

1. gpedit.msc

2. Registry

3. Or you can use the command line switch in an admin command prompt.

Or you can keep doing F8.....

Would be interesting if anyone has yet been able to get any more information on disabling Driver Signing using the above mentioned "Registry". I've been hunting, but then again it's not my field LOL

KB932596

KB938979

From my understanding, one of those two "fixes" for Vista also corrupt the folder creation and renaming process, the general recommendation is not to install them in the first place

• 2 weeks later...
command line is -- bcdedit -set loadoptions \”DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS”

bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

Ok, I did this and it worked so I could install Rivatuner to check out some things with my video card.

How do I re-enable the driver signing if I want to get Vista back to where it started? Substitute EENABLE for DDISABLE?????

Thanks,

Dave