Clean Win 98SE install

arrowhead

Hi all, I'm new here :D

I've built a PC from spare parts and I intend to install Windows 98SE on it.

I was wondering what people would recomend would be the best way to getting it secure and usable? There a 2 projects that I've seen so far on here, SP2.1a and the Autopatcher that look interesting and very helpful.

Am I right in thinking that after installing the SP2.1a update that I would still need further updates, if yes which ones?

The Autopatcher sounds the best option but, how Alpha is it's Alpha status and would a newbbie like me manage? :D

And then there is the option of downloading the official and unoffical updates by hand and then installing them. I suppose this way would allow for more personalisation but would require more work.

If anyone is interested in the PC's specs they are, 800Mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 10gig HDD, ATI Rage 2 gfx card, Sound Blaster 16, and a Realtech network card.

Edited by arrowhead

Hi all, I'm new here :D

I've built a PC from spare parts and I intend to install Windows 98SE on it.

I was wondering what people would recommend would be the best way to getting it secure and usable? There a 2 projects that I've seen so far on here, SP2.1a and the Autopatcher that look interesting and very helpful.

Am I right in thinking that after installing the SP2.1a update that I would still need further updates, if yes which ones?

The Autopatcher sounds the best option but, how Alpha is it's Alpha status and would a newbie like me manage? :D

And then there is the option of downloading the official and unofficial updates by hand and then installing them. I suppose this way would allow for more personalization but would require more work.

If anyone is interested in the PC's specs they are, 800Mhz CPU, 64MB RAM, 10gig HDD, ATI Rage 2 gfx card, Sound Blaster 16, and a Realtech network card.

Can you get some more ram into that system? 64 megs is hardly enough to even load SE, and leave anything for programs to load into. It will be slower than heck!

Try to get at lease 128 megs and even more if possible. SE runs great on 256 megs.

I know 98/SE is gonna be around for a while yet, but it gets less and less capable by the day. Computer accessories makers are going to be dropping 98 drivers from all their new hardware. Soon, it will be really hard to buy a printer or scanner that will still work with 98.

I think if I had to put an OS on an older computer today, I'd probably use Windows ME, just for the increased USB support if nothing else. I've been pretty successful at tweaking and tuning ME to run fast and stable, so I'm not afraid to use it when needed.

But again, 64 megs of RAM, just won't get the job done. There's still lots of the old style RAM around and it's fairly cheap.

Oh well, Good Luck,

Me B)

Andromeda43 is right about the RAM. Try to get some more.

Anyway, about you question: install the SP2.1 first and then download the autopatcher. It's alpha but if you're afraid to use it, there's an option to list missing updates on your system. This way, you can find out what to download manually at MS (or better, on MDGx's site). And if you own a WinMe CD, SE2ME can be nice.

Can you get some more ram into that system? 64 megs is hardly enough to even load SE, and leave anything for programs to load into. It will be slower than heck!

bul*****. 64 MB of RAM is good enough to run Windows 98 SE. Especially if you rip out IE, which everyone should do anyway if the person wants a secure install.

If it's enough to run your programs, that depends on the program, obviously.

bul*****. 64 MB of RAM is good enough to run Windows 98 SE. Especially if you rip out IE, which everyone should do anyway if the person wants a secure install.

If it's enough to run your programs, that depends on the program, obviously.

Indeed, I've had a P166 with 64MB RAM with Win98se wich ran fine. Even 32Mb will work ok, I have no clue where people get the idea that Win98 cannot start with this, they probably never tried.

More on topic: Don't forget IE security updates, SP2.1a does not contain those. See this thread, very recommended for Win98 users:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46581

Edited by noguru

hes rights

64 mb is good for normal use

hell i have win98 on 24 / 32 mb of ram and running office 2000 pro

on it without a problem

tab slow yes but it worked well

it was only a P1 100 HMz .... so

but its depends on what you going to do with the PC

is its is a a office pc for typeing docs and doing excel n access than it would be fine ... tab slow here n there but thats normal

Thanks for your replies evreyone. Before anyone replied I installed 98SE, installed SP2.1a, and ran the autopatcher v1.5. Since it was a clean install and there wasn't any important data on the machine I figured I'd nothing to loose :D. Everything seems to be fine, I did get an error about the ASPI after the autopatcher had finished but it doesn't seem to be affecting anything.

I plan to use Seamonkey rather than IE, I will update and keep IE though because every now and again I make webpages and I would like to check their compatability.

As for the memory, I just want to use it as a general internet and office PC. It feels responsive enough at the moment for what I want it for but, if it begins to get bogged down as I load it up with apps I'll invest in another 64Meg :)

I see that a new version of the autopatcher is out, version 1.6. As I haven't done anything other than test out the PC I might format it and start again just to test out the new autopatcher. I think I'll run it's missing updates check as glocK_94 suggested first this time.

:thumbup

Securing Windows 98SE? Nothing special is necessary. A decent software firewall and an Anti-Virus application would suffice. (plenty of free solutions out there for both). I recommend getting rid of IE as your default browser. IE is like a malware magnet. That's about it. Fresh/unpatched Win98SE is not that vulnerable out of the box (with the exception of IE components) when compared to security nightmares of the NT variety. (Remember, you can't exploit any services if the OS dosen't have any, or close to none as it is the case with Win98SE) People coming over from NT environments (for whatever reasons) have a reflex reaction to secure the OS first and foremost, which is admirable, but in reality, nothing special or extensive needs to be done in the case of Win98SE.

Your specs are just fine. An 800MHz CPU is overkill for Win98SE (Win98SE flies on anything above 300-400Mhz) Your amount of RAM (64MB) is just fine. Even 32MB would be adequate. (RAM footprint of a standard/fresh Win98SE installation is around 30-35MB, depending on the type of hardware you have)

Oh yeah, one last thing, I recommend you stay away from AutoPatcher (at least NT versions)

It's unintuitive, put together poorly, buggy garbage. This goes for NT versions at least.

Unofficial Windows 98SE Service Pack should be enough.

Have fun.

Re: "Ripping out IE"...

I tried that a couple times.. and quickly discovered that it seriously messed up the system so bad that I had to format-C...

I tried the "IE & OE Removers", and still it wrecked the operating system, forcing me to format-C...

It seems that IE & OE are integral parts of the 98 operating system.. or, parts of IE & OE are integral parts of the 98 OS... What parts?.. Are those parts replaceable, without installing IE & OE?..

Is there a safe methodical way to rip out IE, without the rip-out taking-out crucial operating system components?..

It seems that IE & OE are integral parts of the 98 operating system.. or, parts of IE & OE are integral parts of the 98 OS... What parts?.. Are those parts replaceable, without installing IE & OE?..

Anybody read this 10 times and tell me if it makes sense :blink:

And in fact, ... OE is part of IE. :D

I don't know how the NT Autopatcher's operate, but my experience with the new 98SE one was very positive.

I would recommend the Gape Unofficial Service Pack followed by the Autopatcher. After that you can go ahead and install drivers for your hardware devices. Then install the latest Internet Explorer Cumulative Dll patch, the 98SE2ME (if you have a Windows Me cd), 98SE2XP, and the WMP10 to 9x Unofficial updaters. Then run the unofficial WMF update and you'll have just about everything updated. I use the Maximus-Decim Unofficial MDAC updater but depending on your Office version that would also update the MDAC somewhat. Whichever way, there are security updates for even the latest version. Windows Update would get them for you, or you can download them through the mdgx.com links. Or you could install Office and the Unofficial MDAC updater before the Autopatcher as I think he includes the MDAC security patches in that.

You can do all that before connecting to the internet. Then install your favorite software firewall and anti-virus scanner, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Ad-Aware. I wouldn't bother with Spybot's Tea Timer background scanner as it uses resources, but I would turn on Spybot's Internet Explorer bad site and download blockers.

If you do choose to use Internet Explorer, the Yahoo Toolbar includes an excellent popup blocker. If not then Firefox or Sea Monkey have their own built in.

If you did all that I mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to get infected even within Internet Explorer unless you frequently go to malicious websites. The latest versions of Flash and Shockwave are better secured than older versions so I would install those as well. In general, newer versions of software are more secure but also use more resources.