How to lock any folder in XP?

an_talpur

Hi

well da title says all that i just i want to know how to lock folder in xp? and am sure it cant be done thru MS-DOS. and i 've seen such locked folder, when i tried to access it, it said access denied and it neither shows da size of that folder? so anyone?

any reply will be appreciated :w00t:

thanks

ALi

Shooter486, I think you mean this ...

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lock...te-Folder.shtml

:w00t:

When you right-click a file or folder, select Properties then click on the Security tab. This will show you the ACL (Access Control List). It says who can access the file/folder and what kind of access they have.

Edited by FAT64

Changing the ACLs on a folder will work fine as long as no one that you are trying to prevent viewing it has administrative rights. Anyone with admin rights can take back ownership and change permissions on the folder.

If the above case is the situation you are in then the Microsoft private folders may be a better option or something similar. Broadcom has a security platform software solution which part of it gives you an encrypted folder.

I seem to recall that Utimaco also has a similar product. Just don't forget you password or you are hosed.

So what then is to prevent this admin user from changing the rights from deny to permit? Because in order set them to deny they have to be listed as a user for that folder. They clicked the button to change to allow and away they go.

Again works great for non admin users.