My IDE and SATA need help

Which one the CPU reads first, the SATA or the IDE?

Your IDE drives will be placed infront of SATA drives, no matter how you set the boot drive preferences

Most BIOSes will detect PATA first over SATA, however you are wrong with your statement and you can choose in most BIOSes where to boot from, it doesn’t mater if it PATA, SATA or even USB-HDD.

which is exactly what i thought. my bios is prolly one of the best thats out there and has so many options, maybe other bioses just dont have the option.

which is exactly what i thought. my bios is prolly one of the best thats out there and has so many options, maybe other bioses just dont have the option.
I have a NF4 Ultra D - the exact same board as you, and I'm using the latest beta bios from DFI street.

Same board as you, and definately the latest and greatest bios..

So no, your board will still act exactly as I said it will, because mine does ;)

Most BIOSes will detect PATA first over SATA, however you are wrong with your statement and you can choose in most BIOSes where to boot from, it doesn’t mater if it PATA, SATA or even USB-HDD.

I never said you can't choose which to boot from.. If ripken hits escapre during post, hell, he can choose to boot from an ipod if he wants!

the point was, in the drive lettering, pata gets detected before sata.

I have the same board, and I boot from a raptor, with a pata drive in my sys, but I have to disable to pata to install to the raptor as C:/

Edited by uvmain

the point was, in the drive lettering, pata gets detected before sata.

I have the same board, and I boot from a raptor, with a pata drive in my sys, but I have to disable to pata to install to the raptor as C:/

Yeah, I know. But it’s just a small point of XP. There should have been more options at setup. But you gave the golden tip; Disabling the PATA controller or drive.

which raptor do u have? b/c technically the 74gig is a pata with a sata connection, thats why you are able to install OSX on it as an ide drive while sata doesnt work so well..

I'm able to install Vista/XP/OSX86 onto any of my sata drives, without any drivers. The latest AMD OSX86 works flawlessly on all my sata drives :P

37GB WD Raptor

250GB Maxtor DM10

300GB Maxtor DM10

50GB pata MAxtor DM9