My IDE and SATA need help

Hi iam renewing my system and now i have a Gigabyte MB which have only 1 IDE port and i have 2 Hard disks one is SATA and the other is IDE..now i want to ask if i connect the IDE drive with the same cable with the DVD writer drive..and i will make the SATA the system installation drive..will this reduce any speed of my PC? and will this make the burn process slower??

thanx in advance

if you are doing anything between the ide and dvd writer, then there will be reduced speeds. this is due to the fact that data can only be sent one way at a time. so yes it will work, but slow. if you wanted to you could get an ide->sata adapter.

if you are doing anything between the ide and dvd writer, then there will be reduced speeds. this is due to the fact that data can only be sent one way at a time. so yes it will work, but slow. if you wanted to you could get an ide->sata adapter.

thanx for your help but if i use an IDE to SATA will the IDE drive be as fast in data transfer as SATA??

It will be exactly the same speed :)

it will have the same theoretical throughput as a sata drive, but this is besides the point.. the drive will still transfer data at exactly the same speed.

If you have both an IDE and a SATA drive, your system will place the IDE before the SATA -

IE the only way you can make the sata drive the boot disk and C:/ is to disable the IDE drive before using Windows Setup.

If you use a 'sirilell' IDE>SATA adaptor, then both drives will be seen as sata disks.

It will be exactly the same speed :)

it will have the same theoretical throughput as a sata drive, but this is besides the point.. the drive will still transfer data at exactly the same speed.

If you have both an IDE and a SATA drive, your system will place the IDE before the SATA -

IE the only way you can make the sata drive the boot disk and C:/ is to disable the IDE drive before using Windows Setup.

If you use a 'sirilell' IDE>SATA adaptor, then both drives will be seen as sata disks.

thank you so much this is really helped me...

would it also be possibly to connect the IDE as the slave on the chain, allowing the DVD burner to be the master? that way the SATA drive would be the master no matter what, with no interferance, and the DVD drive would have its speed. correct me if i'm wrong though.

it doesn't matter if you have your IDE drive on primary master or secondary slave or whatever.. IDE will always come before sata, so your IDE will be C:/ and your sata will be D:/

this annoyed me so much that I stuck My last PATA drive into our downloadserver, and just went all SATA

you can get round it by disabling the PATA drive in bios before installing, and that way your sata drive will be C:/

just remember to re-enable it once windows is installed.. otherwise, even though it is disabled in bios, windows will still see it, but in PIO mode (very slow transfer rates)

that is, unless you disable the IDE channel entirely ;)

Until you can be bothered/can afford another SATA drive, just disable it in bios before an install, install to the SATA C:/, then reenable the drive. This worked for me for the few months where I had both kinds of drive :)

*EDIT*

you could get one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SATA-To-IDE-Ultra-AT...bayphotohosting

I've bought computer stuff from this guy before, incredibly cheap, and it works :)

Edited by uvmain

Which one the CPU reads first, the SATA or the IDE?

Your IDE drives will be placed infront of SATA drives, no matter how you set the boot drive preferences

arnt u able to set the default drive in the bios?

you mean to boot from? yes, of course. but even if you set your bios to boot from a sata drive, it will not be C:/ if you have any pata harddrives in your machine.

If you install onto the sata with the pata disabled, then it will be C:/, and will remain C:/ when you re-enable the pata. but if you boot into windows setup with both PATA and SATA drives enabled, then even tho you will be able to install to the sata drive, you will end up having your system on D:/ or E:/ or however many drives you have.

Which one the CPU reads first, the SATA or the IDE?

Your IDE drives will be placed infront of SATA drives, no matter how you set the boot drive preferences

Most BIOSes will detect PATA first over SATA, however you are wrong with your statement and you can choose in most BIOSes where to boot from, it doesn’t mater if it PATA, SATA or even USB-HDD.