BOOTMGR is missing, need help - Vista boot

bonzai10

I have installed Windows XP and Ubuntu linux recently, everything was going fine until i installed GRUB. Last time i installed it, GRUB detected my Vista, now it detected one windows instalation and it labeled it incorrectly - windows XP is now labeled Windows Longhorn. I know i can change it in /boot/grub/menu.lst but now i cannot boot my Vista.

I have installed all systems on one HDD, Windows Vista is on C or sda1, windows XP is on D or sda2 and linux is on drives from sda5 to sda9.

I doubd that Vista instalation DVD will do, last time i tried to recover that file and installer was scaning for a long time and it failed to find any problems.

This might have appeared in this forum unfortunetly I'm little lack of time so im unable to look for this issue here.

Thanx in advance.

on linux, read documents about grub, it's very easy to changes menus and properties.

for information, after fixmbr , your linux partitions will be inaccessible without a boot floppy. you should reinstall grub.

mouvda, i know how to edit and set grub menus (/boot/grub/menu.lst) but the point is when i set Vista partition in grub, i get "BOOTMGR is missing" message,

neo_matrix.rs, i have no floppy disk drive O_o Can i do this from USB HDD or CD ?

boot into XP, and look at the root of each disk/partition, to see which partition bootmgr is on?

I've had problems previously with Vista sticking the bootmgr on a different drive, and the olny way was to disable all other drives during installation, so it had no choice which drive/partition to stick it on ;)