Very strange behaviour ...... any ideas?

haggisnneeps

i recently bought a new hard drive for my PC and decided to go SATA (bad idea in retrospect) instead of IDE

My PC has been running IDE since the dawn of time and i have been religiously upgrading it to keep up with whatever game i want to play so right now we're up ot Battlefile 2 and Scarface spec ;-)

Anyhoo - i spent the best part of day1 finding out i needed raid drivers at f6 to see my drive and eventually got XP on it. Dutifully i updated immediately to SP2. Reboot. BSOD. Try SP1 etc - no probs. Retry SP2 - BSOD. Ok i accept this and am working on it and am determined to track down why

So i have XP SP1 with all updates before SP2 and have installed MS Virtual PC 2004 to test out my latest forays into an Automated build CD. I have built it to install with slipstreamed SP2 and all up to date patches etc. I create 2 partitions C and D and it automates the rest with $Docs on D. Have tested it successfully on no less than 5 PCs (3 of which were laptops) all of which i have installed MS Virtual PC on and installed it on that too. I cannot get it to fail anywhere - except the Virtual PC on my own desktop PC which on first reboot gives me the BSOD (i have slipstreamed the correct SATA Raid drivers not that this should matter since VPC presents the disks and drivers as generic anyway)

I have a KT600a chipset, GeForce FX 4500 128MB graphics, 120GB Maxtor SATA drive, all VIA drivers (via RAID too) 512 MB RAM

Am i right? is this very strange behaviour for VPC to not be working properly on my PC?

:blushing: Sorry - forgot to mention that i can build the virtual PC on my PC up to XP SP1 with updates but its as soon as i go to SP2 in the virtual PC it crashes - the virtual PC that is

Tha main PC does the same

What is the STOP code that you get when the computer blue screens? There can be many many many reasons why the computer is doing this, although it is strange that it happens in VPC as well as your system.

What about the same CD (made using the same steps), but without slipstreamed drivers? Any luck there?

Zxian,

Yes i tried a vanilla install of XP then upgraded to SP2 and boom it blows up (main PC) i can never see the BSOD as it just flshes up and reboots (even though i have set the options correctly to not do this)

In the VPC i get a strange mixture of errors. If i do vanilla to SP2 it BSODs the same as the main PC

If i use an unattended disc i created it seems to be a different error every time - from memory:

1st CD i used was Vanilla with SP2 slipstreamed - instant BSOD at t-39 screen and reboots

2nd CD i had SP2 with all patches slipstreamed - does fullinstall then on first reboot complains about the registry hive %systemdrive%/winxp/system32/krnl.dll file is missing - press r to perform repair

tried another 2CDs same as above but each time the file was different and repair is not an option on the slipstreamed CD. If i use the original XPCD it will repair it back to pre SP2 anyway so whats the point

just really weird stuff - i think i might just put back my IDE drives and use the SATA as spare storage - or (god forbid) buy a brand spanking new PC

The actual STOP code would help a lot. To prevent the system from automatically restarting, you can change that setting by right-clicking My Computer, select Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings->Uncheck Automatically restart.

Once you've done that, if you tell us the error code you get, we'll be able to help out a lot more.

What's the rest of your hardware? Motherboard, CPU, RAM, other hard drives? Are you using any SATA PCI cards? There's no reason why a SATA hard drive would prevent you from installing SP2. Pretty much every new system out there has SATA and SP2, so you should be able to as well.

Why don't we get to the bottom of this? ;)

Hi all,

uvmain:

It cant be corrupt SP2 as i've used this SP2 in the slipstream of all myversions that work and have also independantly used this SP2 (downloaded from Microsoft) on other builds. It is definitely Kosher.

LeveL:

Yes i got the driverpacks from there. Have also got Ryan's VM Integrator. Have tried various methods like using f6 and original driver from floppy etc as well as slipstreamed version. I know the driverpacks works 100% on all other PCs i've tried (but then again none of them are using this particular RAID driver!!)

Zxian, my original post has my chipset etc. Its an onboard (or integrated?) SATA port (1 of 2). I read on the Maxtor site for this particular drive that the Maxtor MAxBlast drivers and utilities will not detect onbaord SATA ports on the KT series motherboards (and they were right for a while til i eventually played with the BIOS and plugged and unplugged it and got it to be seen and formatted)

LLXX:

I wish i had known about this before i bought the bloomin' SATA drive now. I bought it on the say so of a guy who promised serious performance gains. So far it has only hindered my rebuild by a full month :-( and i might add too, i am getiting loads of lost files and chkdsk starting up all the time and finding orphaned files and i have a "lost+found" folder on every partition indicating chkdsk error fixing

Here is what i intend to do. SP2 is basically just a roll up of all the patches from SP1 upwards so i'll start to install these patches "by halfs" (eg if theres 50 patches, i'll install the first 25 and see if it dies - if not then i'll do the next 12 then 6 etc ) until i narrow down what is killing my system. This could take any time from a few days to a couple of decades so wish me luck :ph34r: