Low Subscore

lebaker

Hey all. Have a wierd problem. Running Vista Final and my subscore with 1 GB ram memory was : 4.2

Ok..I would rase it a little, and bought 1 GB of memory more.

Same manufactor and brand and speed and everything...

Now I have 2 GB memory, and now my score is only 2.3 !!

Why is that so ???

TIA for any answer

Le Baker

hey! I've seen this one happen! It might be some of these general items you can check....

1. Are you sure you equally populated the memory slots on the MB? (consult the MB manual)

2. Take a look in system and see if it says you have 2 GB. If it says you have 2 GB, try #1 again.

3. If # 1 doesn't solve the problem check your BIOS settings area concerning memory.

4. If # 1 - 3 doesn't yield a solution, check each stick of memory seperatly by booting on only one stick at a time.

5. If # 1 - 4 doesn't solve the problem, start to suspect that you got hold of a bad stick of RAM - it happens.

Hey all. Have a wierd problem. Running Vista Final and my subscore with 1 GB ram memory was : 4.2

Ok..I would rase it a little, and bought 1 GB of memory more.

Same manufactor and brand and speed and everything...

Now I have 2 GB memory, and now my score is only 2.3 !!

Why is that so ???

TIA for any answer

Le Baker

Edited by Spooky

Might be, but he said both the memory was the same manufactor, brand, and speed, and his score went down where as yours went up as might be expected.

It probably has to do with the speed of the memory...

in my old system I had 2gb of memory (ddr 400mhz) and my score was around 4. When I threw in dual channel ddr2 pc7200, it went to 5.4.

What are the speeds of both sticks?

Edited by Spooky

the memory score is based on a bandwidth test.. 2 gigs/4 gigs makes hardly any difference.

are your ram sticks in the coreect slots to enable dual channel? that would up your score..

also, if your ram was overclocked, then when you put in a new stick, it would run at SPD (default) settings until overclocked.. and therefore bring down the score by causing a bottleneck.

try lowering the timings in bios.. and make sure they are actually running at the same speed ;)

check that (if your board supports) they are in dual channel also :)

Hey all and many thanks for your answer...My system say i have 2 GM memory, but I think I maybe now know what the problem is from what you have told me.

I had 2 x 512 MB in my motherboard in my pc, and bought 1 x GB memory more.

But as I can read from your answer, its because i DON'T have 2 x 1 GB memory, insted of 3 diff. memory sizy....Is that correct ??

They are all PC3200 DDR400 moduls.

I dont overclock anything, and the settings in bios for my memory is set to auto.

Sorry for not to mension it was 3 moduls I had in my first message !!!

Le Baker

Edited by lebaker

uvmain, not exactly..

everest measured my memory bandwidth to 4500 mb/s with 2x256 - dual channel

now without dual-channel the bandwidth is 2500mb/s

vista before: 2,9 (2x256 - dual)

vista now: 4,1 (2x256 + 1gb - single)

so, it's not all about bandwidth..