minimal vista with ReadyBoost

evisu

Hi There :hello: im new to this forum and a nlite user. i love how nlite can remove so much stuff and make it run so much faster! (my xp pro sp2 is 176.6mb on cd/ 1.33gb on hdd). thx for a great software!

these couple days, iv read about the Vista. one of the features, ReadyBoost, seems magical and would like to try it. problem is that i do not have a DVD burner atm. only a cd-rw/dvd reader :(

ive read from another thread that Vista Ultimate can be lightened to 1gb. which will not fit onto a CD.

will Vista Basic @ its litest with readyboost. be able to fit on a CD? :P

Thanks

evisu

vLite, the Vista version of nLite is still in Alpha stages at the moment, so it is not recommended for anything other than testing.

I really doubt you could get it to 700mb because all the Vista DVDs are the same. The product key you enter determines the version.

However, Vista WILL be available on CD format soon (5 split discs).

vLite, the Vista version of nLite is still in Alpha stages at the moment, so it is not recommended for anything other than testing.

I really doubt you could get it to 700mb because all the Vista DVDs are the same. The product key you enter determines the version.

Wow, that's huge for an OS... 5 CDs :blink:

Even if the product key determines the version, you could still remove the files that are only required in the versions you don't need.

thanks for the reply

for a user who only uses browser/foobar(mp3s)/VLC(avis)/msn/(occasionally some online games)

which version would perform smoothest? ultimate or basic?

i dont really need any visualeffects. i know for sure that im gonna use classic themes.

Wow, that's huge for an OS... 5 CDs :blink:

Even if the product key determines the version, you could still remove the files that are only required in the versions you don't need.

Vista 32bit is less than 3CDs in fact; Vista 32&64bit is 5CDs.

But I agree this is huge : for the same source size, OpenSuSe gives me IDEs, two x-window clients, many servers apps, frameworks.........

Imho the reason lies in .net framework; winsxs is 1GB. :ph34r:

@evisu, basic. But stick to XP/2K if you don't absolutely need Vista.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

I don't know if its 5 CDs for sure yet, but when they had RC1 on CD on Connect, it was a 5 CD iso download. Perhaps that was both 32 & 64 bit?

Readyboost is a tool that lets you use USB Memory sticks as Pagefile.

I don't know if its 5 CDs for sure yet, but when they had RC1 on CD on Connect, it was a 5 CD iso download. Perhaps that was both 32 & 64 bit?

Readyboost is a tool that lets you use USB Memory sticks as Pagefile.

I remember the ISO was around 2.5Gb for the 32-bit version, and nearly 4Gb for the 64-bit one. That would've fit on 4 and 6 CDs, respectively.

My Vista iso is 1.07GB after running vLite, and I could save another 220MB if I got rid of the display drivers and wallpaper. Keep in mind that vlite is still in the alpha stage, who knows what else nuhi will enable us to remove. So there is hope of fitting Vista onto a single cd, but no promise.

Edited by amigafan

My Vista iso is 1.07GB after running vLite, and I could save another 220MB if I got rid of the display drivers and wallpaper. Keep in mind that vlite is still in the alpha stage, who knows what else nuhi will enable us to remove. So there is hope of fitting Vista onto a single cd, but no promise.

thanks amigafan thats exactly what i wanted to know

107xMB-220MB = ~850MB another 150ish MB please *dreams* :wub:

for homeBasic users, will it be possible to remove features of other versions which are included on the disc?