Windows Server 2003 Web Hosting Settings

damo12

I am attempting to set up a website using Windows Server 2003 (Standard edition). I can view my web pages on the Server's web browser by typing in the URL of my website (i.e www.domain.tld), but I can't view them on a client web browser. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know what causes it and how to rectify it?

PS: I am using an ADSL broadband connection with a static IP address and with the firewall disabled.

Edited by damo12

Some ISPs block port 80.

Even though my ISP allows me to run servers from my connection, will they prevent me from using port 80? If so, why?

Some ISPs block port 80 to prevent people from running web servers specifically. Usually FTP is allowed, but HTTP and SMTP are usually blocked, else everyone would host their websites from home.

To test this would be simple, if the server responds to a ping but does not respond to HTTP over the internet yet does respond to HTTP internally, then chances are that 80 is blocked. Unless you're behind a router and the port isn't forwarded properly.

Some ISPs block port 80.

Even though my ISP allows me to run servers from my connection, will they prevent me from using port 80? If so, why?

Some ISPs block port 80 to prevent people from running web servers specifically. Usually FTP is allowed, but HTTP and SMTP are usually blocked, else everyone would host their websites from home.

To test this would be simple, if the server responds to a ping but does not respond to HTTP over the internet yet does respond to HTTP internally, then chances are that 80 is blocked. Unless you're behind a router and the port isn't forwarded properly.

So, does that mean I can use any other port, with the exception of standard port numbers, such as port 110 for FTP, to assign to my web server? e.g. port 81, 82...etc.

I am attempting to set up a website using Windows Server 2003 (Standard edition). I can view my web pages on the Server's web browser by typing in the URL of my website (i.e www.domain.tld), but I can't view them on a client web browser. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know what causes it and how to rectify it?

PS: I am using an ADSL broadband connection with a static IP address and with the firewall disabled.

How did you set up your internet connectin in your router through the NAT or Port Forwarding?

Usually people use 8080 when 80 is blocked.

Unfortunately, I can only access my website (from the server's web browser) when the server is configured to serve files from port 80. If I change the port number to anything else, a page not available error occurs.

Unfortunately, I can only access my website (from the server's web browser) when the server is configured to serve files from port 80. If I change the port number to anything else, a page not available error occurs.

That's because after you change the port, you have to specifically state the port in the URL of the webbrowser: http://www.domain.com:8080/

That's because after you change the port, you have to specifically state the port in the URL of the webbrowser: http://www.domain.com:8080/

Again, this works only on the server. Do you know if Windows Server 2003 has a built-in firewall. e.g. ICF.

Check in the Network Connections to see if Windows Firewall is active.

The firewall is disabled.

Then I doubt the firewall is an issue.

I managed to get it to work using some instructions from a member of another forum. However, the instructions require me to make an addditional entry to the Hosts file in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder on the client machine. I add the IP address of the web server and the domain name to the Hosts file on the client machine and then I can access my website from a client machine. Do you know what this tells me about the configuartion settings of my server and can I access my site from other client machines without having to edit the Hosts file?

Edited by damo12