Boot multiple PE iso's from one CD

eastonj

I've built two WinPE v1.6 ramdisk CD's, an x86 and x64 version to support my unattended server builds.

Is there anyway to modify the winnt.sif in PE to allow for the NT style boot manager, where you could pick which ISO to load into the ramdisk? It appears that winnt.sif is just a customized version of boot.ini that would normally be used in a multiboot environment for booting different OS versions from the HD. but boot.ini uses arc path for selecting the OS.

We want to send out a single CD to remote sites that would be built by connecting to the servers RILO board. Thus, nobody would actually be on site to switch discs depending on the need for a 32bit or 64bit PE environment.

-Jeff

• 2 months later...

use the same method as the multiboot dvd for different versions of windows.

Create a folder for x86, and its bootfiles, and a folder for x64, and its bootfiles. Then use cdshell or another menu system to select between the two.

*hint* Look at the ERD Commander in the multiboot guide

Edited by phkninja

I've built two WinPE v1.6 ramdisk CD's, an x86 and x64 version to support my unattended server builds.

Is there anyway to modify the winnt.sif in PE to allow for the NT style boot manager, where you could pick which ISO to load into the ramdisk? It appears that winnt.sif is just a customized version of boot.ini that would normally be used in a multiboot environment for booting different OS versions from the HD. but boot.ini uses arc path for selecting the OS.

We want to send out a single CD to remote sites that would be built by connecting to the servers RILO board. Thus, nobody would actually be on site to switch discs depending on the need for a 32bit or 64bit PE environment.

-Jeff

I have made a boot menu that allowed you to select what WIM you wanted to load, just by using BCD and BCDEdit, I know for sure that it worked when booting from PXE so I guess it would work when booting from DVD also

Another thing, do you have any documentation or info on the winnt.sif format, I havn't been able to find any