Nvidia Driver for Windows 98SE

Sberla

Perhaps try forcing these older drivers [from '93 :( ] from OmegaDrive?

http://www.omegadrivers.net/nvidia/win9x_me.php

Been using them [forced using the driver for the GeForce4 Ti 4200 w/agp8x] on my geforce 4000mx without any problems. The Nvidia CPanel marks my card as 'unknown' but still overclocks and performs the same. Went to these drivers due to a nagging issue with the 81.xx drivers which involved an image tearing effect despite vsync being on when setting a game directly to full screen.

Edited by Chozo4

I believe the Detonator 5x were the fastest avaible for the TNT2. However they're quite old so if you plan to play games released later, you may need to install the latest Forceware supporting this card (7x).

But the latest 77.72 drivers do not support TNT2. There is a non-WHQL version and WHQL version at this site ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/ . The WHQL version does not support TNT 2. :(

Anyway thanks for reply. I am using 40.72 drivers with it as Lunac in above posts points out that they are the fastest forceware drivers available.

But the latest 77.72 drivers do not support TNT2. There is a non-WHQL version and WHQL version at this site ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/ . The WHQL version does not support TNT 2. :(

Anyway thanks for reply. I am using 40.72 drivers with it as Lunac in above posts points out that they are the fastest forceware drivers available.

Ok. :) (just for info, the 77.72 don't support TNT2 but the 71.84 do)

To stay in the subject, I've downloaded the BFG drivers linked by Bugtest (thanks man! ) and looked at it. As Petr stated, it adds a few lines to Nvaml.inf to support 7800gs and others. So if they did it, it's possible. That would be an incredible achievement to make Win98 support newer cards. Even if it's AGP only.

• 4 weeks later...

This may not be directly related to the topic. My mb was down recently and I change it to PCchips M955G. Now my TNT 2, with win98SE, does not work. It hangs when reboot after installing 71.84.

Is TNT2 compatible with M955G, or is it a driver problem?

Been using them [forced using the driver for the GeForce4 Ti 4200 w/agp8x] on my geforce 4000mx without any problems. The Nvidia CPanel marks my card as 'unknown' but still overclocks and performs the same. Went to these drivers due to a nagging issue with the 81.xx drivers which involved an image tearing effect despite vsync being on when setting a game directly to full screen.

OMEGADRIVE here!

These are my "optimized" drivers for the NVIDIA family of video cards/laptops.

What's New? (2k/XP 1.6177)

* Based on the Official 61.77 drivers.

* Changed some options needed for the new CP to work properly.

* Added support for 6800 cards.

* Improved installation, now there is no need to install the drivers

manually, I included an automatic installer.

* Improved uninstall, follow the instructions in the included "How to..."

document in order to fully uninstall the drivers.

* Package size increased thanks to the new auto installer, sorry.

* Updated Multires to version 1.47

This may not be directly related to the topic. My mb was down recently and I change it to PCchips M955G. Now my TNT 2, with win98SE, does not work. It hangs when reboot after installing 71.84.

TNT2 has some severe problems with 71.84, degrade your drivers to lower version. 44.xx drivers are nice. Also 40.xx drivers also are good. Link to download: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_archive.html

Known issue with some motherboards, especially nForce-based motherboards.

But, the problem is less likely to occur if you have a GeForce with nForce.

The problem was observed when using a

Radeon 9000 Pro with nForce.

Also, it appears that Windows 98, nForce and ATI don't mix!

But, the good news is that you may be able to get around that problem by using Windows ME.

I noticed the above with my Asus A7N266-VM/AA motherboard.

On the Asus A7N266-VM/AA, if I install Windows 98 SE and install the nForce drivers,

then after I install the Catalyst drivers and reboot, it locks up.

But it was fine with Windows ME! I found that to be a strange issue, because ME didn't have major changes, AFAIK.

But you do have a Nvidia video card. Thus I dunno.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

OMEGADRIVE here!

These are my "optimized" drivers for the NVIDIA family of video cards/laptops.

What's New? (2k/XP 1.6177)

I'm not sure that I understand.

Are you recommending tweaked Windows 2k/XP Omega drivers for Windows 9x? If so, can you provide a link please?