Installing Windows Me :

nilkanth

I have prepared new pc cotaining Intel DG965RY board, Core2 Duo 1.86 GHZ CPU, 512 MB single channel DDR2 ram and 160 GB SATA HDD.

Iwish to install Window Me in my new PC.

When I try to boot system by floppy disk, it shows that invalid system disk eventhough I have placed Windos Me start up disk.

When I try to boot by bootable windows me CD Rom with CD-ROM supportit, boots but do not detects CD Rom and shows error that no cd rom found and not found device driver MSCD001. Thus I am not able to install Win Me from CD Rom

When I try to install windows me from my hard disk, as soon as installation starts after checking all the drives, it stops setup and show error

“SUWIN caused a General Protection Fault in module SUWIN.EXE at 000c:195A”

Please help in solving above problems and enable me to install Windows Me

Thanks

Look at your Mainboard website for what the system can support. All dual core system will not work with Win 95/98 or win Me. :yes:

Even if you did. You would lose half your CPU and forget getting anymore then 256mb of ram to be used by the system. :no:

I know it sucks but you MUST conform to at least win 2000

nilkanth, if for some reason you want to stay "old school" then try Windows 2000 with SP4.

But lately Microsoft has reduced Win2k support as it is obsolete as well, go for XP...you won't notice the difference in speed on that machine and if you're paranoid for some other reason then try to research a little and see if it's justified.

There are no drivers for these new boards, e.g. for the SATA controller so it is no chance to install Windows Me on this machine - maybe in some compatibility mode with significantly redced performance. But Intel made boards are extremely hostile to old OSes.

If you really insist on Windows Me and you don't have license of Windows 2K/XP, you can use any Linux distribution with Vmware Server, it is free of charge, and you can run Windows Me inside Vmware.

If you have Windows 2K/XP license, you can run Windows Me inside of Microsoft Virual PC 2004 SP1, it is free of charge too.

• 4 weeks later...

I THINK, THIS WORKS IN THIS SITUATION - IT HAPPENED TO ONE OF MY FRIENDS TOO -

UR FLOPPY DISK IS GONE BAD -- JUST GET A FRESH/NEW FLOPPY n MAKEIT A WIN ME STARTUP DISK AT SOME OTHER PC HAVIN WIN 98 or WIN ME. TRY THIS - SHUD WORK.

IF DONT HAVE ANY PC WITH WIN98/ME - THEN GOOGLE FOR WIN98 STARTUPDISKS - MANY SOURCES r AVAILABLE.