Nintendo Wii

ripken204

well the Wii is out and i saw alot this weekend while in NYC. ppl were allowed to play them and stuff... now im just wondering from those nintendo fans out there, what makes it so special? just the controller? the graphics are no better than my normal xbox and a tv thats older than me, and the Wii was hooked up to a large lcd... seriously not kidding here. this one guy was talking to me even, the graphics look about the same as an xbox, so why not buy it? im just thinking, wtf is wrong with him? why would he want insanely outdated graphics? now i dont want this to be a topic on flaming the Wii, im just asking for reasing supporting why it is good? some told me that it was due to the gameplay, howso?

Ninetendo was not trying to create a gaming beast, they wanted to make something that parents would look at and say "Hey, this looks like some good family fun", which is also WHY the Nintendo Wii IS Wii (We!), the phonetic sound is WE, while the two i's represent their new controllers, and also two people.... There's an article I read somewhere I can't remmeber that went over the whole thing. Nintendo wanted something that would turn on almost immeadiatly, does NOT consume alot of power, does not make alot of noise... Basically, buy it, hook it up, plain AND simple hookup, and not worry about it, they also specifically designed to not take up much space either....

I wish I could remmeber the article, but the HUGE selling point of the Wii is the remote, which while Lucasarts has not confirmed it yet, there most likely WILL be a Star Wars lightsaber game with it, at that point my a** is getting a Wii.....

Basically, if you liked the originality of the Nintendo DS (with games that make you blow in your console, yell at it and look like a perfect id***), then you'll love the Wii. It's not very expensive and you can have lots of fun, especially in multiplayer.

Now if you just want the best graphics ever or the last FPS then stick with your PC (or buy a Xbox/PS3 that will ruin you :angel)

Well I dont own a Wii but I did go over friends house who go one the day it came out to try it out. In terms of graphics: better than a Gamecube, not as good as a 360. I like the Wii the best so far, even though the 360 is imo the "best system" I just don't care for particularly any of its games.

Reasons I like the Wii:

The controller really makes the games interesting and challenging.

Twilight Princess is another very good game in the Zelda series :)

I also like most other Nintendo 'branded' games.

Virtual Console, though I did not have an opportunity to try this.

The system is small, quiet, simple to use, looks good, and is relatively inexpensive.

ppl were playing in school today :) so funny, it was hooked up to one of those projector things.

anyways, ive just come to the inclusion that 'the Wii is a good budget gaming console'. if you consider the prices of the 360 and ps3, then you can realize why graphics and performance is better, the Wii just has everything that you need, a little above normal, but for a cheap price.

you guys agree with that?

Only hardcore gamers are graphics snobs (I'm one of them). WiiSports looks does NOT push the limits of the Wii by a long shot. Excite Truck is ok but obviously light years behind the nextgen GT.

I'm a big Nintendo fan, because I've always liked fun games, and while I do understand, if not agree with Nintendo's choices, I still thing they could have taken the cpu & gpu of the Wii just a bit further.

Using multi-platform games are not always a good way to compare, I'm referring to Call of Duty 3. CoD3 was obviously rushed on the Wii. I haven't seen CoD3 in action on the Wii, but from the screenshots, the graphics are barely Gamecube quality. The reason is, the game programmers have to rewrite the majority of a game's engine in order to take full advantage of a different system, this takes a lot of time and a lot of money. And considering games that choose to release at launch, time is something they don't have. Leave it to say Wii CoD3 should have waited another 4+ months to polish, instead we have a "it works ok, so we'll reduce the graphics to make up for the game's slowness". I'm hyped to play CoD3 on the 360 I plan on buying soon, but I wouldn't play Wii CoD3 if you gave it to me for free. Even IGN games gave it a 7/10 on the Wii, and a 9/10 on the 360.

I'd like to point out that improving 3d games requires massive jumps, unlike back in the 2d days. In order to make 3d look "next gen" you need to jump at least 4x the power, and most companies shoot for 6x. Anything less will be barely noticeable. This is proved by the Wii where the hardware is only 2x or 3x the power.

Aren't graphics junkies better off with a PC anyway, as glock said? That way you can get the latest/greatest video hardware and the upgrade path is friendlier.

I've always thought of consoles as being good for the nice controls, simpler interface and maybe some exclusive games. The Wii is obviously innovating on these counts, and a PC can/will do it all. So my counter-question to this topic is: why would you want a PS3 or x360 when you get better control with a Wii or better graphics with a PC? Perhaps the newer media center features they offer? Nope. PCs have that covered, too.

The ultimate answer is probably: everyone prefers something different. But I haven't seen anything about the PS3 or x360 that made me personally want to buy one. I haven't looked too in-depth, though.

Disclaimer: the last console I bought was my Sega Genesis. I still use it occasionally.

I chose the 360 for Xbox Live - its probably the reason why I chose that over the PS3.

I don't have an astoundingly fast PC, and I don't think I ever will, thats why I chose a console. Plus I'm always partial to a bit of Halo :P

I think its gotta be down to "family fun".

For those of you who know the game on PS2 "BUZZ"

its a brilliant family game, have played it a bit with the misses family and her sister. great fun as a family.

I think this is what Nintendo are aiming for.

Biohead: The Wii will offer free internetting from what I've heard, through Nintendo WFC. I agree with the others about Nintendo going for innovation and the others going for just the power. And as a side note, the Wii is also backwards compatible with the GameCube disks/controlers/memory cards. I'd diffinately buy it, but it might be later next year :)