how f***ed up is this next generation?

ripken204

Gaming can cause addictions for most kids. As with any other addiction, forcing the kid to stop playing can cause them to react with anger, usually leading to bad relationships between parents and their children. Another problem is that they are often deprived of a chance to interact with other kids, and may result in depression and antisocial behavior later on in life.

i agree with you aegis, but ill also add just like im sure ripken would say,, gaming should be limited, and kids should play some out side that way kids these days dont get to lazy and fat like society is getting these days

ripken thats rubbish,, games dont cause the kids to have tantrums ,, bad parenting does,, and from what i see on that show,, the parents should be whipped for the way they let things get, most of there probs rely on spoiling the kids and thats whats bad my friend

bad parenting is exactly my point tho. allowing you child to do nothing but play games without restrictions is definetly bad parenting, and there are lots of ppl that do this.

YOUR ALL WRONG... you know why?... I'm asking, because I don't.

This is just a stupid and pointless thread. It just goes to show you that mods can create thread titles with wrong words and say irrational thoughts and not have to worry about anything.

BAH

um.. okay...

so its stupid and pointless to discuss our future generations? the ppl that we will rely on to help the economy and keep our country safe? im just saying that we may have some huge problems in the future if ppls behaviors dont change.

YOUR ALL WRONG... you know why?... I'm asking, because I don't.

This is just a stupid and pointless thread. It just goes to show you that mods can create thread titles with wrong words and say irrational thoughts and not have to worry about anything.

BAH

First off, the post is in the General Discussions forum, so who cares what it's about... hence the name of the forum.

Second, so because a mod started the thread, it's abuse? So once you're a mod, free speech goes out the windows, is that it?

Third, if you don't like the thread, don't read it. If you have a problem with the way the forum is run, why are you still here?

Come on. Playing for hours doesn't make you an antisocial geek. Don't you remember spending night on your Amstrad/Atari or anything you had. The trouble starts when you give up real life for games. But I guess kids who do that already have a problem. Might be their parents, might be themselves but games just reveal it.

Anyway, maybe the Wii will make them move and lose some weight. :angel

maybe the Wii will make them move and lose some weight.

lol now that would be impressive, the only games that ive ever seen really help a kid sweat is that dancing game with the dance mat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Revolution
As exercise

Many news outlets have reported how playing DDR can be good aerobic exercise; some regular players have reported weight loss of 10–50 pounds (5–20 kg). In one example, a player found that including DDR in her day-to-day life resulted in a loss of 95 pounds.[1]It is argued, however, that the cases of significant weight loss have all been stories where a significantly overweight player loses a few pounds, and then becomes motivated to take action to lose weight, including dieting and regular gym attendance. Although reports of weight loss have not been scientifically measured, a handful of schools use DDR as a physical education activity, and in Norway, DDR has even been registered as an official sport.

Come on. Playing for hours doesn't make you an antisocial geek. Don't you remember spending night on your Amstrad/Atari or anything you had. The trouble starts when you give up real life for games. But I guess kids who do that already have a problem. Might be their parents, might be themselves but games just reveal it.

Anyway, maybe the Wii will make them move and lose some weight. :angel

ya spending a night. not every night

ya spending a night. not every night

Well, guess your right but I really think this is more a symptom than the illness.

in Norway, DDR has even been registered as an official sport.

:lol: Ok. Those here who are parents, you know what to buy your kids now !

I have no qualms with Dance Dance Revolution, I think that was a brilliant idea. You can spend a lot of energy and keep in good shape playing that for a long time. You're not sitting on your arse in couch drinking cola and eating chips while you're playing DDR.

Personally, I think there's nothing wrong with gaming (hey, I was part of the famicom generation - that thing was sweet in my teenage years). However, most of us as kids had parents that would force us outside to play with other kids or our siblings (or both) most days after school and all summer (to our benefit, physically and socially). Gaming was a treat that we did for an hour or two when we were doing well in school, weren't in trouble, etc., not a way of life as it has become today, and I see it in my two teenage nephews (and starting in my brother's kids) where it's OK to play video games all day in lieu of playing outside with friends. Again, gaming itself isn't bad, but too much of anything is a bad thing (especially if it hinders social and physical development, which gaming in place of playing at the park or in the street/driveway with friends and siblings certainly does over time). And in my opinion, that DOES fall on the parents (most kids will do whatever they're allowed to do by their parent(s)). Just my two pence.