• iTunes
    • foobar2000
    • Media Player Classic
    • Amarok
    • Other
    • Winamp
    • I don't

• 2 weeks later...
Media Player Classic that comes with the Combined Community Codec Pack. In addition, I install Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative. Plays everything I throw at it, even high definition video. Windows Media Player can't/won't play certain formats or files encoded with certain codecs. I use Winamp solely for audio. Best combination ;)

QFT.

I was going to post the exact same setup (minus the combined codec pack, I am picky as to what codecs I install and have a list I go through upon reinstalls). The only thing this setup won't play is .ratDVD (which is a very dodgy standard). That i use moopeg for playing when I come across one (which isn't often anymore).

amaroK in my opinion is the most advanced audio player, I use it a lot but I prefer xmms because I experience occasional crashes because I use gnome interface and amaroK is intended for kde. I rarely use windows but when I do, I use foobar2000 as a player.

For videos, I configure and compile my own version of mplayer from source.

Personally, I use GNOME, too (Ubuntu), and Amarok (from the apt repos) seems to work just as stable as it does under KDE (or more - KDE's not exactly the most stable piece of software out there). I've read horror stories, but it works great for me.

Edited by WBHoenig

I'm gonna answer this in terms of music, since I listen to music more than I watch video.

Winamp!!! There isn't another media player out there that has the same kind of UI as Winamp, nor do they have the same kind of functionality built in.

Winamp 5.31 syncs with my iPod, manages my music, plays most formats out of the box (ok... no flac or ape by default). What more could you ask for?

Winamp 5.31 syncs with my iPod, manages my music, plays most formats out of the box (ok... no flac or ape by default). What more could you ask for?
You'll be glad to know that the latest Winamp supports FLAC out-of-the-box :)

I'm gonna answer this in terms of music, since I listen to music more than I watch video.

Winamp!!! There isn't another media player out there that has the same kind of UI as Winamp, nor do they have the same kind of functionality built in.

Amarok does all of that, too ;)

Although on some Linux distros with some codecs (e.g. wma) you have to type in about three lines in terminal for it to work