Backup domain controler (2003)

Veky.VG

Hy all...

Next week I must set up domain controler that will work as backup domain controler, in case that primary DC (DC1) doesnt work...

For now, I have installed Windows 2003 SP1 (R2 isn't installed yet) on HP ProLiant DL320 server, and set up fixed IP address.

So if some of you have some tips and sugestion how to do this on best way?

- I can install R2 on this new server, will I have problems because DC1 is Win2K3 SP2 and DC2 will be R2?

- is there some links or how to for setting up backup domain controler? (active directory sincronization, dns, dhcp)

- when I set up additional DHCP on my network, how they will work togeter? (same scope)?

(does backup domain controler waits and cheks if primary DHCP doesnt respond, then secondary DHCP takes his job or?)

Thank in advice!

Having two DC's is always the best way to go :thumbup

As I'm writting this I'm doing the same thing in my LAB enviroment so I'll be able to give better answers when I've done some tests myself but I can answer your DC question right away.

The DC's will always sync up against eachother within five minutes of a change, I'd guess that it also collects all info when it's made DC.

As for your DHCP I don't think that you can name one primary, and another secondary...

Well you can NAME them anything you want but DHCP servers are independent from eachother and if you have to identical scopes on two DHCPs then you will end up with duplicates.

So you can either let them have different IP's within the same Subnetmask or you must name one of them a DHCP relay...

The problem with the relay is ofcourse that it never actually does anything else but relay requests from clients and the offers from a server.

The MCSE 70-293 book from MS recommends that if you have two DHCPs then you should split the scope 80:20 (one has 80% of the scope and the other has 20%) in case one goes down.

If one is to be used as a backup for faults then I'd recommend a short lease period on the backups ip pool.

Also, any permanent reservated IPs should be configure on both servers.

I don't think you can have any of them wait to see if there is a responce from the other servers, perhaps a DC can outrank a memberserver but I doubt it... it might just be "First come, first serve" but I might also be wrong...

Let us know how it went :w00t:

Tip about 80:20 is not bad, because I can always resize scope on backup domain controler in case of DC1 failure. I think that I will do it in that way, if I dont get better solution! Thanks...

MY pleasure - remember to go trough every "update with other servers" button you can find, sucks if one crashes and the other DNS (for instance) has no idea whats going on because it always forwarded :whistle: