Windows "Vienna"

WBHoenig

It doesn't matter what they do to it as long as it remains 'web-centric and internet/network orientated' because unless we get some real broadband connections in the US (like the 45 MB/s connections in Japan) like the phone company promised us back in the 90's (but later decided not to do it, they made this promise to win concessions from Congress which they got), were gonna be up S*** creek as far as using something like Vienna. You guys do know that MS's future aim is a move back to a 'main frame' type set up where a windows computer is simply acting as a terminal running applications off the MS servers. I think we will see something sort of like that with Vienna where certain content and applications will need to check with MS before they will run.

• 3 weeks later...

"Centro" is in the same vein as the "Small Business Server" product line - think of it as Windows Server "Medium Business Servers" (it takes 3 servers to run). It installs (currently, anyway) Windows Server Longhorn, Exchange Server 2007, System Center Essentials, SQL Server 2005, Forefront security, and ISA Server, and has a custom MMC that allows management of all of these systems from one location.

I can't tell you how many medium-sized businesses run this exact software stack - with a 3rd party antivirus and no System Center for monitoring. If this can be brought to a competitive price point, I think it'll sell REALLY well. SBS does really well, and taking that concept to the medium-sized business market and bringing all of the apps one might use in that scenario, and making it all gel in one MMC (I'd guess it'll probably end up being System Center-centric) is a really cool idea, at least IMHO.

Windows "Vienna"

(Part of the Microsoft Windows family)

Developer: Microsoft

Release information

Source model: Closed source

License: Microsoft EULA

Kernel type: Hybrid Kernel

Support status: Preliminary development planning. Planned release year between 2009 and 2012.

Windows "Vienna" (formerly known as Blackcomb) is Microsoft's codename for a future version of Microsoft Windows, originally announced in February 2000, but has since been subject to major delays and rescheduling.

The code name "Blackcomb" was originally assigned to a version of Windows that was planned to follow Windows XP (codenamed "Whistler"; both named after the Whistler-Blackcomb resort) in both client and server versions. However, in August 2001, the release of Blackcomb was pushed back several years and Vista (originally codenamed "Longhorn" after a bar in the Whistler Blackcomb Resort) was announced as a release between XP and Blackcomb. Since then, the status of Blackcomb has undergone many alterations and PR manipulations, ranging from Blackcomb being scrapped entirely, to becoming a server-only release. As of 2006, it is still planned as both a client and server release with a current release estimate of anytime between 2009 and 2012, although no firm release date or target has yet been publicized.

In January 2006, "Blackcomb" was renamed to "Vienna".[1]

Source: Wikipedia - Windows "Vienna"

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds to me like Vienna will be no more than what they hoped Longhorn to be in the first place.

Blackcomb's been in the works for a long time (e.g. 1998 or so). It has always been seen as a huge upgrade of Windows, much bigger than win95. There's an old video (circa 1999) on YouTube of the 3D interface Microsoft was hoping to put into Blackcomb. But now, with it being renamed to Veinna, it may not be as big.

Dear God, if Vienna is anything like that, I'll shoot something. Why can't we just keep a 2D core desktop with several virtual desktops with several companions [Witness Gnome & KDE]? Furthermore, what is the point of purchasing Vista if Vienna will be released, theoretically, in 2009?

:thumbupMicrosoft's Vienna Due In 2009, Good NEWS for Windows Lovers :thumbup

The follow-up to Windows Vista should arrive in calendar year 2009

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has already proclaimed that there is "More where that came from" when it comes to operating systems. According to PC World, 2009 is when we can expect more "wow" from Microsoft. During that year, Microsoft is expected to release the follow-up to Windows Vista which is codenamed Vienna.

Microsoft doesn't want another repeat of the 5-year drought between the release of Windows XP and Windows Vista, so the company is accelerating its plans for its next generation operating system.

The time and effort that should have been exerted on Windows Vista were instead diverted to getting Windows XP SP2 out the door. "Then when we came back to it, we realized that there were incremental things that we wanted to do, and significant improvements that we wanted to make in Vista that we couldn't deliver in one release," said Ben Fathi, a corporate VP in Microsoft's Windows Core Operating System Division.

The lack of focus resulted in a number of features being dropped from the initial release of Windows Vista. These included WinFS, native HD DVD and FireWire-B support, enhanced speech recognition and PC-to-PC sync.

Some of these shortcomings will be addressed with the first service pack for Vista, codename Fiji. A fully realized version of WinFS, however, will likely not appear until Vienna.

Fathi declined to comment on what exactly to expect with Vienna, but simply left PC World with these musings: “We're going to look at a fundamental piece of enabling technology. Maybe its hypervisors, I don't know what it is. Maybe it's a new user interface paradigm for consumers." According to Fathi, we’ll have to stay tuned within the next few months to see what exactly Microsoft has up its sleeves for Vienna.

I might pass Vista and wait for XP SP3 and Vienna now ;) Although it's not a crime to take your time for an OS, I'd say.

I much rather have to wait a long period of time and get something good, rather than something "half baked" (Dutch expression, dunno if that's used in English, too) :P

I wonder if this "Vienna" OS is going to be like a disaster like Vista (No offense, I think Vista sucks). Probably more bloatware and unnecessary components. We'll wait and see, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for this new operating system.

And maybe by this time IE8 will be out for this one too, which I could care less.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Tell me about it. At my school, teachers are always requesting for this software, copyright © 1998, to be deployed on every computer on the network. We have a very strict active directory system where one teacher on the campus gets admin rights, but most teachers and all students don't. Our problem is that when the software is running, it's trying to swap out new XP/2000 dlls with ancient win95 ones... but they can't because they are running without admin rights. Anyways, it can be a mess without proper backward compatibility.[/quot]

Yeh m8 u have hit the nail on the head there... In my opinion i think vista has the fullest microsoft capabilities have from windows 3.1 upto vienna pppffffff thats a laugh aint it, why dont microsoft make 1 windows OS capable of gaming, downloading, using a server instead of all these versions that need different specs... yano why dont the make a 30gig os capable of different specs that way it will stop alot of s***... but i guess bill gates is too stupid to use the idea and i bet you any money bill gates uses an optimized, modified windows OS either hacked cut down with nlite/vlite etc. because he cant stand his own OS... yet again i do think college/university an school's have the best stable versions of an OS because they boot up within 30 seconds, then takes less than 10 secs to logon then i'd say 45 or more seconds to load in properly bt w they have too much old software on the systems..

why dont microsoft make 1 windows OS capable of gaming, downloading, using a server instead of all these versions that need different specs...

Because being all things to all people means you have to make compromises. Besides, the bulk of the money Windows brings in are desktop workstation installs and then servers, THEN gamers. So don't count on any changes.