Windows "Vienna"

WBHoenig

I've been a bit curious lately. If memory serves, I think it was about this time in XP's between testing and RTM stage that news began to leak about "Longhorn". Now that Longhorn/Vista is almost out, has anyone heard anything yet about the next next version of Windows, codenamed "Vienna" (formerly "Blackcomb")?

Sounds to me like Vienna will be no more than what they hoped Longhorn to be in the first place.

Blackcomb's been in the works for a long time (e.g. 1998 or so). It has always been seen as a huge upgrade of Windows, much bigger than win95. There's an old video (circa 1999) on YouTube of the 3D interface Microsoft was hoping to put into Blackcomb. But now, with it being renamed to Veinna, it may not be as big.

Internally, Vista's upgrade (even from XP) was like going from Win95 to WinXP. However, from a user's perspective, it's probably not going to be too different (the 2000 - XP analogy works well here). It's all under the covers, but hopefully some of the really neat usermode stuff will make it into Vienna.

Supposedly, Blackcomb was going to have some sort of wheel instead of a taskbar. It was also supposed to have massive amounts of 3d involved, but then, things change.

Personally I can't see MS releasing Vienna in it's "radical departure from xp" form as a primary os as it would scare off too many people. It'll either be less experimental or will be a limited release and not a sequal to Vista.

When Blackcomb/vienna does come out, it will only have half the features planned, be 2 years late, and will be the most unstable os ever! Microsoft cannot cope with upgrading products, have you seen how many redundant files there are in XP? To make vienna a success they need to start from scratch, and remove the thousands of lines of code that don't do anything.

Do you know how crucified Microsoft will be (already is, to a point in Vista) for not being 100% backwards compatible with crap from forever ago? And make changes - what about the uproar about the annoyances that UAC or IE7 changes have brought (for security reasons no less - "we want security but we don't want to be inconvenienced or have anything change at all" :realmad:)? Oh, and our OSes are unstable (baloney), and our products are always late (that part is true :)).

Do you know how crucified Microsoft will be (already is, to a point in Vista) for not being 100% backwards compatible with crap from forever ago? And make changes - what about the uproar about the annoyances that UAC or IE7 changes have brought (for security reasons no less - "we want security but we don't want to be inconvenienced or have anything change at all" :realmad:)? Oh, and our OSes are unstable (baloney), and our products are always late (that part is true :)).

Tell me about it. At my school, teachers are always requesting for this software, copyright © 1998, to be deployed on every computer on the network. We have a very strict active directory system where one teacher on the campus gets admin rights, but most teachers and all students don't. Our problem is that when the software is running, it's trying to swap out new XP/2000 dlls with ancient win95 ones... but they can't because they are running without admin rights. Anyways, it can be a mess without proper backward compatibility.

When Blackcomb/vienna does come out, it will only have half the features planned, be 2 years late, and will be the most unstable os ever! Microsoft cannot cope with upgrading products, have you seen how many redundant files there are in XP? To make vienna a success they need to start from scratch, and remove the thousands of lines of code that don't do anything.

Notwithstanding my above comments, I agree 100%. They need to pull an OS X.

• 4 weeks later...

I see Vista as a stepping stone to Vienna. Microsoft has the technology (as we've seen in the videos) but the average person's computer isn't up to par. So they put out Vista. Vienna is going to be the real revolution although I still believe Vista is a great improvement over XP :yes: